ERIE.GOV | Your information resource from the government of Erie County, New York

Recycling & E-Cycling Information

2018 Recyling and Waste Collection Schedule.pdf

Erie County Recycling Information

(Scroll down to Recycling & Disposal)


What Can I Recycle?


The Town of Alden has re-instituted it's free electronics recycling program for 2017. This program is for Town of Alden residents only and is subject to the following guidelines:

  • The electronic equipment must be brought to the Town Hall only during regular business hours of 9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
  • You must go to either the Town supervisor's or the Town Clerk's office with ID to show that you are a Town resident. After confirmation, the garage door will be opened and you will be able to place your items neatly on the right side of the garage. No broken CRT tubes can be accepeted or left as our contractor will not take them. You must be able to unload your items yourself as there is no staff available to assist you. Do not leave any items outside of the garage.

Acceptable items include:

  • Computers (Desktops & Laptops)
  • Industrial Controls
  • Printers (Ink or Toner)
  • Ink/Toner Cartridges
  • Computer Accessories (Mice, Keyboards, Webcams, Speakers, Microphones, etc)
  • Computer Monitors (CRT, LCD, LED)
  • Televisions (CRT, Projection, LCD, LED, Plasma)
  • Microwave Ovens (Non PCB)
  • Copiers/Fax Machines
  • Typewriters
  • Telephones
  • Cell Phones & Chargers
  • GPS Units
  • Pagers
  • PDA's
  • Tablets
  • Answering Machines
  • MP3 Players
  • Scanners
  • Radios/Boomboxes/CD Players, etc
  • Storage Devices (External Hard Drives, Solid State Drives, SD Cards, Memory Cards, Card Readers, etc)
  • Audio Equipment (Speakers, Microphones, DJ Equipment, Recievers, Recording Devices, Headphones, etc)
  • Video Equipment (Cameras, Video Cameras, Web Cams, Recording Devices, etc.)
  • Communications Equipment
  • Medical Testing Equipment
  • Laboratory Equipment
  • Circuit Boards
  • Cables, Wires, Power Cords, Power Strips
  • Most home appliances (no refridgerators)
  • Recharable Dry Cell batteries (Nickle Cadium - NiCad, Nickel Metal Hydride - NiMH, Lithium Ion - Li-Ion)
  • Anything else with a circuit board or a cord!
  • Absoultely no other items are to be left.

Additionally, the follow materials are NOT appropriate for recycling:

  • Devices containing liquid mercury (thermostats, switches, medical devices, thermometers)
  • Freon containing devices/materials (refridgerators, air conditioners, de-humidifiers)
  • CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) TVs & Monitors that do not contain the outer casing
  • Household hazardous waste materials
  • Materials containing liquids
  • Yard equipment
  • Gas powered equipment
  • Items leaking fluid
  • Radioactive materials
  • PCB containing materials
  • Large appliances (Stoves, washers, dryers, dishwashers)
  • Dry Cell Batteries (Absolyte, alkaline, Mercury, Zinc Air with Mercury, Lithium Primary, Lithium Thionyl, Chloride, Button Cells, Lead Acid Gel)
  • Wet Cell Batteries (Zinc Air, Zinc Air with Mercury, Nickel Iron, Nickle Cadmium)
  • CDs, DVDs, VHS tapes, and Casette Tapes
  • Please note that this program costs Town Taxpayers money. Costs to the Town go up as the year progresses so the earlier in this year that you recycle, the cheaper the program will cost.

See the Upcoming Events page for information about the next E-Cycling event


Make the environmentally responsible decision and recycle today!

Consumers increasingly rely on technology for everyday activities, and advances in this field continuously render electronics obsolete in a relatively short period of time. It is important that we recycle our “ewaste” in an environmentally friendly manner so these harmful materials do not end up in our landfills.

FAQ/Frequently Asked Questions:

How do I dispose of a microwave?
Modern Disposal will take microwaves in recycling. Refrigerators, freezers etc. must be tagged by a certified dealer that the Freon was removed before putting out for disposal.

Where do I take my old TV set?
If you are a town resident you may bring them to the Town Hall, 3311 Wende Road, during normal buisiness hours. If you live in the village of Alden, you may take them to the DPW Barn located at 13395 Railroad Street. You will need to bring ID for confirmation of residency. The Salvation Army also accepts TV donations as long as they are in working condition.

Where do I take old tires?
Dunn Tires will take your old tires without rims for $2.00 a tire. Please contact your local store for locations and hours of service.

What do I do with old paint?
Dry it out before you throw it away. Wet latex paint can be hazardous, so dry it up. If there's only a small amount of paint in the bottom of your can, leaving it out in the sun should do the trick. If there's a bit more than the sun can handle, try adding kitty litter or newspaper to help soak up the paint and speed the drying process.

How do I dispose of batteries?
Alkaline Batteries are safe to dispose of in your trash. More information on batteries is available through the Earth 911 website.

How do I dispose of Pharmaceutical Waste?
ANY unwanted or expired prescription or over-the-counter medications, syringes, liquids, ointments, patches, etc. can be brought to the Alden Town Hall. We are open M-F 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

*Erie County provides multiple Household Hazardous Waste Collection Days each spring. For information about the next event, please call Erie County Dept. of Environment & Planning @ (716)858-6800 or visit their website @