ERIE.GOV | Your information resource from the government of Erie County, New York

County Executive Elected Officials County Departments Living In Erie County Visiting Erie County Growing your business in Erie County State and regional municipalities

Certificate of Residence


The Comptroller's Office issues Certificates of Residence only to permanent Erie County residents who are attending community colleges in other New York State counties. The student must obtain an application from the community college they are planning to attend. Certificates of Residence are valid for a period of one year from the date of issuance.

NOTE: Living in Erie County to attend college does not constitute permanent residency.


  1. A New York State resident for at least one full year prior to application.
  2. An Erie County resident for at least six (6) months prior to application.
  3. A US citizen or carry a resident alien card ("green card").

Acceptable Identification Documents:

  • Drivers license
  • NYS TAP information
  • Car registration
  • Lease agreement or rent receipt
  • Prior year income tax return or IRS W-2 form
  • Voter's registration card

All documents must be in the applicant's name and clearly show an Erie County address.

You will need to provide 1 of the above forms of identification with your application. Two (2) forms of identification are required for Fashion Institute of Technology students.

You must complete the application in its entirety as instructed on the application, sign it in the presence of a notary public and bring or mail it with a self-addressed, stamped envelope to the:

Erie County Comptroller's Office
Room #1154 Rath Bldg.
95 Franklin Street
Buffalo, New York 14202-3971
Office Hours: 8:00 am - 4:00 pm, Monday - Friday

  • Remember to have the required acceptable identification documents with you if applying in person or include copies with your original application if mailed. Applications should be notarized and submitted no sooner than 60 days prior to and no later than 30 days after the start of the semester. If you have any other questions, please contact us.

For more information, please go to http://www.erie.gov/comptroller/certificate_residence.asp