Driver's License & ID's

Drivers License and Non-Driver Identification

In order to obtain a drivers license you will need to be age 16 or older. To get a learners permit, driver license, or non-driver ID for the first time or to renew a license or identification that has been expired for more than two years, you must:

1. Prove your date of birth with a certified copy or original birth certificate. See form ID-44 Proof of Identity for other acceptable proof.

2. Have your social security card with you.

3. Prove your name and address by submitting one or more documents that total 4 points. See form ID-44 Proof of Identity for other acceptable proof and point value.

Bring the required documentation along with Form MV-44 to the nearest Erie County Auto Bureau. If interested in an Enhanced Drivers License to enter Canada or Mexico, you will need to complete Form MV-44EDL and bring the necessary documents.

Get an Enhanced Drivers License (EDL) and Enhanced Non-Driver Identification

What is an enhanced driver license (EDL)?

A NYS EDL is compliant with the REAL ID Act and Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) and in 2016 a NYS EDL will be required to board domestic flights.

If you are a US citizen and NYS resident, you can apply for a NYS Enhanced Driver License (EDL) that can be used instead of a passport to return to the US by land or sea from Canada, Mexico and some countries in the Caribbean. An EDL is not acceptable for "InternationaL" air travel between these countries.

We recommend you contact your travel agent, your cruise line or the specific countries of destination to verify your travel document requirements.

How do I apply for an EDL?

You must apply for an EDL in person at any Erie County Auto Bureau and provide Proof of Your Identity, U.S. Citizenship, NYS Residency and Age (Date of Birth), Social Security Card (or Federal or NYS TAx form with compete social Security Number)

You will also need

NOTE: If name on certified copy of birth certificate is different from current proof of identity, you MUST bring in a certified copy of marriage certiciate(s), divorce decree(s) or court order document(s).

Can I apply online, by phone or mail?

No, because you are required to show proofs of identity, NYS residency and U.S. Citizenship. All applications for enhanced documents must be made in person at any Erie County Auto Bureau.

Please visit any of our main or satellite office locations if you with to apply for a REAL ID or Enhanced Driver License/non-Driver Identification card. At present we are unable to process this type of transaction at any of our Mobile locations.

Is there an additional fee for an enhanced driver license?

The additional fee for an enhanced driver licensed (EDL) or enhanced non-driver ID card (ENDID) is $30.00. The fee is added to the other fees for the driver license or non-driver ID transaction.

To determine the fee for converting from a regular driver license or ID card to an enhanced document, see Early renewal with conversion to an enhanced document.

For your convenience make a reservation online.