The Commissioner serves as the authority of Central Police Services, establishing goals and issuing directives to maintain the primary purpose of this department. Namely, to provide centralized support services on a county-wide basis to all City, Town and Village Police Departments and other Criminal Justice Agencies located in Erie County.
In addition to providing direction to the each of the divisions, the Commissioner is responsible for the department's overall budget process, all personnel matters, departmental correspondence and contractual obligations, freedom of information matters, and federal, state and local security issues as they relate to the department's services.
Administrative achievements are evident in county-wide services that include but are not limited to the implementation of:
- Enhanced 9-1-1;
- Full service Forensic Laboratory;
- Statewide Automated Fingerprint Identification System;
- Erie County's Police Record Management System;
- Erie County's Police Mobile Data Computer System;
- Course expansion and seminars at the Law Enforcement Training Academy;
- Use of Automatic Vehicle Location (AVL) in the Mobile Data System; and
- Receipt of several National Association of County's Awards.