Driver Pleads Guilty for High-Speed Crash That Injured Passenger and Police Officers

Modified: January 6, 2020 12:44pm

Latest News


Erie County District Attorney John J. Flynn announces that 30-year-old Andre Goldsmith of Buffalo pleaded guilty before State Supreme Court Justice Paul B. Wojtaszek to one count of Assault in the First Degree, a Class “B” violent felony. The defendant pleaded guilty to the highest count in the indictment against him on the day his jury trial was set to begin.

On December 23, 2018, at approximately 10:15 p.m., Buffalo Police officers initiated a traffic stop on East Ferry Street and Wohlers Avenue for a vehicle with dark tinted windows and no license plate lights. When the officers approached the stopped vehicle, the defendant drove away at a high-rate of speed. As officers followed on East Ferry Street, they observed other vehicles maneuvering to avoid the defendant’s vehicle.

A Buffalo Police Housing Unit patrol vehicle was parked on East Ferry Street near Grider Street when the officers heard the call for the speeding driver. The officer turned on the overhead lights and attempted to make a three-point turn, when his patrol vehicle was rear-ended by the defendant’s vehicle.

The crash spun the patrol vehicle and forced it down the street. The defendant’s vehicle to hit a fire hydrant then a light pole before it ultimately became wedged between another light pole and the side entryway to True Bethel Baptist Church.

Both the defendant and his passenger were extricated from the vehicle by emergency personnel and taken to ECMC. The passenger suffered fractures to both ankles, which required surgery. Goldsmith did not suffer any serious injuries.

Both police officers were also taken to ECMC. One officer suffered injuries to his neck and shoulder, which required him to be off of work for several months. The other officer suffered injuries to his neck and back, which have prevented him from returning to work.

Goldsmith faces a maximum of 25 years in prison when he is sentenced on Monday, March 9, 2020 at 9:30 a.m. He remains held without bail.

DA Flynn commends the Buffalo Police Department Accident Investigation Unit as well as Officers Michael Scheu, Robert States, Klyde Bynum, Davon Ottey for their work in the investigation.

The case was prosecuted by Chief Paul Glascott of the DA’s Vehicular Crimes Bureau.