Thanks to the efforts of local students, Erie County Legislator Lynne Dixon’s 3rd Annual Valentines for Veterans program was a huge success. More than 1,000 cards were delivered to local veterans and active members of the military to thank them for their service.
“This is a tremendous program that brings the community together. The students are very excited to create the cards, sending a heartfelt thank you to our veterans. When I deliver the cards the veterans really appreciate the thoughtfulness and enjoy reading the messages from students. I lost count over the years but I have collected thousands of cards to say ‘thank you’ to our veterans,” said Legislator Dixon. “It has been an honor to deliver these awesome cards to our local veterans in South Buffalo, Lackawanna, Blasdell and Hamburg and personally thank them for their service.”
Legislator Dixon delivered cards to the following organizations to ensure many of community’s local veterans received a card for Valentine’s Day:
- American Legion Matthew Glab Post 1477, Lackawanna
- American Legion Post 527, Hamburg
- American Legion Post 63, Lackawanna
- Amvets Post 897, Blasdell
- David McKeever Post 64 Sons of the American Legion, South Buffalo
- Eden Heights Assisted Living
- Elderwood Center, Hamburg
- Erie County Thank-A-Vet Program
- Hamburg Senior Center
- Lackawanna Senior Center
- Marine Corps League
- NYS Veterans’ Home, Batavia
- South Buffalo American Legion Post 721
- VA Hospitals of Buffalo & Batavia
- Vets HERD
- VFW Post 898 - Col. John B. Weber, Lackawanna
- VFW Post 1419, Hamburg
- WNY Heroes
Additionally, several cards were sent to soldiers currently serving overseas, thanks to the help of Vets HERD and the New York National Guard, Family Assistance Program.
“We are honored to help distribute these wonderful Valentine’s Day cards from our local school children, to our true local heroes,” said Philip J. Arnold, president of Vets HERD.
The following schools participated in the 2013 Valentines for Veterans program:
- Big Tree Elementary School
- Cloverbank Elementary School
- Discovery School
- Global Concepts Charter School
- Lorraine Elementary School
- Martin Road Elementary School
- Old Time Baptist Academy
- Our Lady of Victory School
- St. Mary of the Lake School
“Throughout the year we should take the time to honor and thank our veterans, and this is just another opportunity to remind them their sacrifice is appreciated. I again want to thank the schools and students for their hard work and beautiful handmade cards, and of course thank our military personnel for their dedication and service to our country,” said Legislator Dixon.
For additional information, please contact Legislator Dixon at 858-8671 or email email@example.com.