The Erie County Department of Environment & Planning, in cooperation with the Northeast Southtowns Solid Waste Management Boards, and Erie Community College will be hosting a “Household Hazardous Waste Drop-off Day” on Saturday, June 18th, 2016 at the ECC South Campus in Orchard Park. The event, open to all Erie County residents between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m., will allow for the safe disposal of hazardous items that cannot be thrown out in the regular garbage, helping to reduce pollution and the potential contamination of groundwater.
ITEMS WHICH CAN BE BROUGHT FOR DISPOSAL INCLUDE:
- Pesticides, Fertilizers, Pool and Household Chemicals/Cleaners (limit 2 gallons or 20 pounds)
- Oil-based paints, Spray cans (limit 10 gallons)
- Paint Thinner, Stripper and Solvents (limit 2 gallons)
- Batteries (lead acid & rechargeable)
- Oil, Gasoline, Kerosene, Antifreeze (limit 10 gallons)
- Mercury (thermometers, thermostats, metal)
ITEMS WHICH WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED INCLUDE:
- Latex paint
- Automobile tires
- Computers and other electronics
- Fluorescent bulbs
- Commercial/industrial wastes
For more information on these events, for a full list of items that will be accepted, or for details on how to properly dispose of latex paint, call the Erie County Household Hazardous Waste 24-Hour Hotline at (716) 858-6800 or visit www.erie.gov/environment.
Participants may need to verify that their waste products were generated by households.
The event at the ECC South Campus will be co-sponsored by the Northeast Southtowns Solid Waste Management Board.