Planning board and zoning board of appeals members are required by state statute to obtain four hours of training a year. Erie County's Department of Environment and Planning may host or forward by email training opportunities in the region.
Planning board and zoning board of appeals members are required by state statute to obtain four hours of training a year. For more information, please visit: NYS DOS Annual Training Requirement page
Erie County's Department of Environment and Planning may host or forward by email training opportunities in the region. If you wish to be added to the contact list, please email Mariely.Ortiz@erie.gov with your name and the board and municipality you serve.
6.27.2018 - Community Solar 101 for Municipalities - 1.5 hours of land use training credit - click here for more information and registration
- 8.6.2018 - UrbanPlan for Public Officials Workshop: Engaging Local Decision Makers in a Dialogue about Land Use Dynamics
- 8:30-3:30, University at Buffalo, South Campus
- To RSVP or for more information, please contact Wendy Salvati at (email@example.com) by July 27, 2018
NEW! Training Certification Form - In an effort to facilitate the tracking of credits for our local zoning boards of appeals and planning boards, the Department of Environment and Planning has developed a Training Certification Form. This form may be used by a local government board member to confirm attendance to trainings that do not provide a certificate. Download the form here
The New York State Department of State has numerous resources for municipal board members in search of training opportunities, including:
- Online Interactive Training: These interactive courses are available for free to local officials and anyone interested in learning from them. It is not necessary to register with the New York Department of State to complete these courses. If you opt to take the quiz at the end of the course, you will be offered a certificate of completion to print as proof of having completed the course.
- The dates of upcoming webinars and information about on-site training are available on the DOS Land Use Training Network Calendar.
- Community Resiliency
- Solar Regulation Resources
- NYSDOS & Erie County DEP Annual Local Government Training
- Municipal Law Seminar by Hodgson Russ - - for more information: http://www.hodgsonruss.com/newsroom-events-2384.html
- May 17, 2018 - 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Millennium Hotel, 2040 Walden Avenue, Cheektowaga, NY 14225
- Discussion and hot-button topics included:
- Legislative Session Update
- Social Media: Implications for Local Government
- Land Use – Microcell Zoning Issues and Brownfields Grant Opportunities
- Solar Projects and Real Property Tax Challenge Update
- Capital Projects / Bond Financings: Your Issues for 2018
- The U.S. Constitution and Local Government: Critical Issues for Municipal Officials
- Urban Land Institute Training: UrbanPlan for Public Officials Workshop: Engaging Local Decision Makers in a Dialogue about Land Use Dynamic.
- August 1, 2017 - 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
- University at Buffalo, South Campus, Hayes Hall 403, 3435 Main Street Buffalo, NY 14214
- NYSERDA Solar PILOT Toolkit - Webinar
- Tuesday, July 25, 2017 at 2 p.m.
- Additional resources: NYSERDA website at nyseda.ny.gov/solarguidebook
- Department of State 2017 Erie County Training
- Preparing for Extreme Weather Events through Land-Use Planning
- Wednesday, May 3, 2017 from 8:00 am - 3:30 pm
- Erie County Fire Training Center: 3359 Broadway, Cheektowaga, New York 14227
- Workshop Goal:
- Provide Lake Erie/Niagara River region municipal leaders with training on severe weather and climate change impacts as well as some of the tools, resources, programs, and practices that can be used to identify and address vulnerabilities and increase community resiliency to those impacts.
- The workshop is sponsored by New York Sea Grant (NYSG) with additional funding from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) Community Climate Adaptation Initiative Program and the Environmental Protection Fund under the authority of the New York Ocean and Great Lakes Ecosystem Conservation Act. Advisory committee members include the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC) and the Erie County Department of Environment and Planning.
- Mention of company names or products at this workshop or in accompanying materials does not imply endorsement by NYSG, NOAA, NYSDEC or the Erie County Department of Environment and Planning.
- The morning portion of this workshop was eligible for 4 hours of Local Government Training credit.
- December 13, 2016, 10:00 AM -12:00 PM
Orchard Park Town Hall, Basement Meeting Room - 4295 S Buffalo St, Orchard Park, NY 14127
Click the image below to view and/or download the presentation
Course Credits: This course qualifies for credit hours toward meeting the NY State mandatory training requirement for local planning and zoning board officials. Check with your municipality for further information. Attendance certificates will be available.
For Questions Contact: Debra Liegl, Phone:716-858-6409, Email: Debra.Liegl@erie.gov
- Thursday, October 13th, 2016 - Orchard Park Municipal Building, 4295 S Buffalo St, Orchard Park, NY 14127 - 10am - 12pm OR 5pm to 7pm; 2 credits
The workshop provided by NYSERDA’s PV Trainers Network and Erie County covered topics related to solar development that are especially relevant to local governments with a focus on developing a local solar zoning ordinance. The first part of the workshop discussed: solar development in agricultural areas, solar and property taxes including Real Property Tax Law Section 487 and Payment in Lieu of Taxes (PILOTs), end of life of solar PV systems, and review common solar myths. The second part of the workshop walked participants through the NY State Model Solar Ordinance and review strategies and best practices for developing a clear, comprehensive, and enforceable solar regulatory framework. Local government officials who complete this course are eligible to receive complementary one-on-one technical support in designing and implementing smart solar policy in their local jurisdiction.
Presenters: Jessica Bacher, Pace Land Use Law Center, Pace University Law School, & William Oberkehr and Derric Meister, Sustainable CUNY
Click the image below to view and/or download the presentation
- ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
Please feel free to share this with other members of your community. In particular, you may be interested in:
- Contact information – slides 23, 110 & 112
- Resources regarding solar ordinances (webinars and guidance documents) – slides 31 & 37
- Agricultural links: - slide 84
- Links to general solar information – slides 108 & 109
During the presentation, several contact names and resources were given:
- For help with Solar Ordinances, contact Jessica Bacher at firstname.lastname@example.org
- To request training on other solar issues, such as fire safety training, contact Egan Waggoner email@example.com
- If you have questions about NYSERDA’s new Clean Energy Communities program, contact Bart Roberts at firstname.lastname@example.org
We are looking into holding another, slightly longer, training focused solely on the ordinance with the same trainer, Jessica Bacher from Pace Law Center. If you know of people who would be interested in attending this, please send an e-mail to Debbie Liegl at Debra.Liegl@erie.gov.
If your community is in Erie County and there are other resources beyond those listed above that you need to work on this issue, we are interested in knowing that. Please e-mail Bonnie Lawrence at Bonnie.Lawrence@erie.gov or Debbie Liegl at Debra.Liegl@erie.gov with more information about your community’s needs.
- DOS & Erie County 2016 Training
Last updated: June 14, 2018 9:53am