The Erie County Department of Health (ECDOH) has partnered with the Buffalo & Erie County Public Library System to offer free lectures and information for the public on various health related topics.
- Wellness Wednesdays are held at the Central Library and consist of tabling events where the public can stop by anytime during the event to ask questions and pick up materials.
- Wellness Weeknights are held at the Audubon Public Library and consist of formal lectures.
Wellness Wednesdays at Central Library
Time: 11:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Location: 1 Lafayette Square, 1st Floor Ring of Knowledge, Buffalo, NY 14203 (Driving Directions)
August 9, 2017: Start the School Year Off Right: Make sure your vaccinations are up to date! (Event Flyer)
- Do you know which immunizations are required to attend school? Learn how to keep your whole family up-to-date and protected from preventable illnesses. Bring your questions and concerns about vaccines to our experts.
September 13, 2017: Be Safe, Be Prepared
- Do you know what to do if an emergency or a disaster should strike? What is important to have on hand to remain safely in your home? Are you prepared if your family needs to suddenly evacuate? Find out from the experts. For more information call 858-7101. Presented by ECDOH Office of Public Health Emergency Preparedness. Other agencies may include Red Cross and the Office of Disabilities.
October 11, 2017: How Healthy is Your Home
- Learn about hazards found in and around your home. Find out if you're eligible for a free smoke detector or lead testing. For more information call 961-6800. Presented by ECDOH LEADSAFE and Healthy Neighborhoods Programs. Other agencies may include Asthma Coalition of Erie County.
November 8, 2017: Stay Active, Have Fun
- Don't let cold weather keep you from staying healthy and active. Find out how you can have fun staying fit all year long. Presented by Erie County Parks Department. Other agencies may include the Wellness Institute, Canalside, Riverworks & Olmsted Conservancy.
December 13, 2017: Taming Holiday Stress
- Keep holiday season stress under control with fun and relaxing activities. Make your own mediation jar, color or enjoy a massage. Learn ways to relax and enjoy. Presented by ECDOH Community Wellness. Other agencies may include a massage therapist
January 17, 2018: Healthy New Year!
- Good food is the foundation for good health. EatSmart NY and ECDOH Community Wellness are here to answer questions and share ideas for healthy eating.
March 14, 2018: Debunking the Myth on Colon Cancer Screening
- March is Colon Cancer Awareness Month and getting screened may be easier than you think. Learn more about how you can take action by knowing your risks and how to be screened. Presented by ECDOH Cancer Services. Other agencies may include Roswell Park, Undy 5K & Prostate Cancer/Men’s Group.
May 9, 2018: Spotlight on Teen Pregnancy
- Find confidential, non-judgmental reproductive services. Stay healthy, stay in school. Call 858-2779 for more information. Presented by ECDOH Family Planning. Other agencies may include Buffalo Prenatal–Perinatal Network & Planned Parenthood.
June 13, 2018: Summer Safety
- Don't let accidental injuries spoil your summer. Learn how you can take steps to avoid drowning, head injuries and other summertime hazards. Presented by ECDOH Environmental Health Division.
July 11, 2018: Enjoy Life Be Safe
- Don't mess up your life and put others at risk. Learn ways to limit your risk from sexually transmitted diseases. Presented by ECDOH STD Clinic. Other agencies may include Evergreen.
August 8, 2018: Ready, Set, School!
- Dental health, immunizations and health insurance all make for healthy kids who are ready to learn. Stop by for info, give-aways and prizes. Presented by ECDOH Immunization Action Plan & Community Wellness. Other agencies may include Child Health Plus.
Wellness Weeknights at Audubon Public Library
Location: Audubon Public Library, 350 John J Audubon Pkwy, Amherst, NY 14228 (Driving Directions)
Registration: Please register for each event through the Librarian or by calling 716.689.4922
October 3, 2017
Bringing Back Family Meals
3:30 pm - 5:00 pm
- Dealing with crazy kid schedules? Find it hard to eat together as a family? Come learn some ways to make meal planning fun and easy. We’ll tackle shopping on a budget, making the most out of food choices and some tips for healthy eating on the go. Presented by ECDOH.