Under the direction of the EMS Division, Medical Emergency Radio System (MERS) Control serves as the County's emergency dispatch center, dispatching ambulances for the City of Buffalo, NYS Thruway and the Buffalo Niagara International Airport (B.N.I.A.).
Additionally, MERS Control coordinates the countywide ambulance-to-hospital MERS. MERS Control also acts as the after-hours answering point for the Erie County Department of Emergency Services and the Erie County Department of Health (ECDOH).
- Dispatches emergency ambulance calls for the City of Buffalo and coordinates the county-wide ambulance to hospital MERS on a daily basis, and in time of actual or potential disaster situations.
- Provides medical interrogation and pre-arrival instructions for 9-1-1 calls in the City of Buffalo, City of Tonawanda, Town of Evans and Town of Orchard Park. Provides back up interrogation and pre-arrival instructions to the Town of Lancaster.
- Provides emergency response to potential and actual disaster situations to provide support and coordination to the on scene Incident Commander.
- Provides pre-hospital emergency medical care training of all fire departments, ambulances, and emergency squads to the Certified First Responder and Basic Emergency Technician level.
- Coordinates operational Advanced Life Support, Paramedic and Advanced Emergency Medical Technician programs in conjunction with Erie County Medical Center.
- Provides communication support for the Dept. of Emergency Services, the Erie County Hazardous Materials Organization (E.C.H.O.), and the Specialized Medical Assistance Response Team (S.M.A.R.T.).
- Provides support to the Western New York Stress Reduction Program to schedule debriefings and training.
- Provides 24 hour answering service for the ECDOH.
Classes & Trainings
Alerts, Advisories & Recalls
- Ready Erie App: Informs and prepares Erie County residents for emergencies. Receive notifications, locate emergency shelters, view up-to-date evacuation maps, create a personalized emergency preparedness plan & more.
- ECDOH Health Alerts/Advisories
- Functional Needs Registry Form
- Product Recalls
- Medication & Needle Disposal
- Specialized Medical Assistance Response Team (S.M.A.R.T.)
- Erie County Fire Safety Division
- WNY Stress Reduction Program
- CPR Equipment Law (NY State)
- NYS Bureau of EMS
- NYS Bureau of E.M.S. Policy Statements / S.E.M.A.C. Advisories link
- Office of Prehospital Care
- EMS Archives
- EMS Messages
- Ebola Guidance for First Responders
24 Hour Dispatch: 716.898.3696