You can protect yourself and your family from mosquitoes that may transmit West Nile virus and other viruses.
In your yard you should:
- Maintain pools by chlorinating and filtering.
- Keep pool cover drained.
- Maintain ornamental ponds. (Stock with fish. Bubblers and fountains prevent mosquitoes from laying eggs.)
- Clean clogged house gutters of debris.
- Change water in birdbath and planter bases every 3 days.
- Turn over containers, buckets, and wading pools.
- Remove used tires from property.
- Check window and door screens and repair if needed.
When outdoors at dawn and dusk you should:
- Wear long sleeve shirt and long pants.
- Consider insect repellant. (Use according to label directions.)
- Limit outdoor activities. (Mosquito activity is greatest during the hours of dawn and dusk.)
Erie County Department of Health
Rabies, Disease & Vector Control Program
503 Kensington Avenue
Buffalo, NY 14214