On a regular basis, ECDOH provides training to Erie County residents on how to recognize and respond to an opioid overdose. This training includes how to use the aerosol version of naloxone (Narcan) to reverse the overdose.
- There is NO COST to attend this training. Participants must be at least 16 years old.
- Naloxone is a benign drug. If it is administered when an individual is not experiencing an opioid overdose, no harm will come to the patient.
- A kit containing 2 doses of naloxone will be given to each attendee who successfully completes the training. Once an individual uses these doses, they must submit the Naloxone Training and Overdose Reporting Form in order to receive a replacement naloxone kit.
- Upon completion of the training, participants will be able to recognize the signs & symptoms of an opioid overdose, administer naloxone (Narcan) properly and take necessary follow-up steps.
- Online Registration Only: Click on the desired date below to register for that training. Pre-registration is highly recommended as space is limited.
- Note: When there are fewer than 20 pre-registrants 72 hours before a scheduled class, the class will be cancelled. Registrants will be notified by email of the cancellation.
Training Schedule & Registration (click on link to register)
- Wednesday, September 20, 2017; 6:30--8:30 PM; Springville Middle School, 267 Newman St., Springville 14141
- Sunday, September 24, 2017; 12:00--2:00 PM; Ministry Building, 464 7th Street, Buffalo 14201
- Monday, September 25, 2017; 6:00--8:00 PM; Hamburg High School, 4111 Legion Drive, Hamburg, NY 14075
- Thursday, October 19, 2016; 6:00--8:00 PM; Crane Branch, Buffalo & Erie County Public Library, 633 Elmwood Avenue, Buffalo 14222
- Sunday, October 22, 2017; 12:00--2:00 PM: Church of the Annunciation, 7580 Clinton Street, Elma 14059
- Monday, October 23, 2017; 6:00--8:00 PM; Grand Island High School, 1100 Ransom Road, Grand Island 14072
- Thursday, October 26, 2017; 7:00--9:00 PM; Seneca-Babcock Block Club, training at Belmont Housing Resources for WNY, 1195 Main St., Buffalo 14209
- Monday, November 13, 2017; 9:00--11:00 AM; Cornerstone Manor, 150 East North Street, Buffalo 14203
- Tuesday, November 14, 2017; 6:00--8:00 PM; Good Shepherd Community of Faith, 187 Southside Parkway, Buffalo 14220
- Wednesday, November 15, 2017; 2:00--4:00 PM, Buffalo City Mission, 100 East Tupper Street, Buffalo 14203
Medical Care Administrator
95 Franklin St., Room 911
Buffalo, NY 14202
Phone: (716) 858-7695
Fax: (716) 858-8701
- Good Samaritan Law - Protects an overdose victim, and those who summon help for the victim, from: arrest in the presence of misdemeanor drug possession and/or underage drinking prosecution for felony possession (unless there are aggravating circumstances, e.g. possession with intent to sell or outstanding warrants)
- Needle & Medication Disposal
- Naloxone (Narcan) - How to get it from a Pharmacy
- Erie County H.O.P.E. Project (Community Education & Prevention)
- Opioid Epidemic Task Force (The Task Force is composed of seven committees, which meet regularly and report back to the entire Task Force quaterly)
- Opioid Calendar of Events