On a regular basis, ECDOH provides training to Erie County residents on how to recognize and respond to an opioid overdose. This training includes how to use the aerosol version of naloxone (Narcan) to reverse the overdose.
- There is NO COST to attend this training. Participants must be at least 16 years old.
- Naloxone is a benign drug. If it is administered when an individual is not experiencing an opioid overdose, no harm will come to the patient.
- A kit containing 2 doses of naloxone will be given to each attendee who successfully completes the training. Once an individual uses these doses, they must submit the Naloxone Training and Overdose Reporting Form in order to receive a replacement naloxone kit.
- Upon completion of the training, participants will be able to recognize the signs & symptoms of an opioid overdose, administer naloxone (Narcan) properly and take necessary follow-up steps.
- Online Registration Only: Click on the desired date below to register for that training. Pre-registration is highly recommended as space is limited.
- Note: When there are fewer than 20 pre-registrants 72 hours before a scheduled class, the class will be cancelled. Registrants will be notified by email of the cancellation.
Training Schedule & Registration (click on link to register)
- August 9--20, 10 AM--9 PM; quick on-the-spot trainings at the ECDOH Table in the Marketplace Building at the Erie County Fair
- Saturday, September 9, 2017; 10:00 AM--12:00 PM; New Bethel Community Church, 175 Kensington Ave., Buffalo 14214
- Sunday, September 10, 2017; 12:00--2:00 PM: North Presbyterian Church, 300 North Forest Rd., Williamsville 14221
- Monday, September 11, 2017; 6:30--8:30 PM; Upper Mountain Fire Company, 839 Moyer Rd., Lewiston 14092
- Tuesday, September 12, 2017; 6:00--8:00 PM; Buffalo & Erie County Public Library--Clarence Branch, 3 Town Place, Clarence 14031
- Wednesday, September 20, 2017; 6:30--8:30 PM; Springville Middle School, 267 Newman St., Springville 14141
- Thursday, October 26, 2017; 7:00--9:00 PM; Seneca-Babcock Block Club, training at Belmone Housing Resources for WNY, 1195 Main St., Buffalo 14209
- Monday, November 13, 2017; 9:00--11:00 AM; Cornerstone Manor, 150 East North Street, Buffalo 14203
- Tuesday, November 14, 2017; 6:00--8:00 PM; Good Shepherd Community of Faith, 187 Southside Parkway, Buffalo 14220
- Wednesday, November 15, 2017; 2:00--4:00 PM, Buffalo City Mission, 100 East Tupper Street, Buffalo 14203
Medical Care Administrator
95 Franklin St., Room 911
Buffalo, NY 14202
Phone: (716) 858-7695
Fax: (716) 858-8701
- Good Samaritan Law - Protects an overdose victim, and those who summon help for the victim, from: arrest in the presence of misdemeanor drug possession and/or underage drinking prosecution for felony possession (unless there are aggravating circumstances, e.g. possession with intent to sell or outstanding warrants)
- Needle & Medication Disposal
- Naloxone (Narcan) - How to get it from a Pharmacy
- Erie County H.O.P.E. Project (Community Education & Prevention)
- Opioid Epidemic Task Force (The Task Force is composed of seven committees, which meet regularly and report back to the entire Task Force quaterly)
- Opioid Calendar of Events