Healthy Neighborhoods Program (HNP)
For over 20 years the Healthy Neighborhoods Program has provided the residents of the City of Buffalo much needed assistance to make their homes free of environmental health and safety hazards. The program is funded by the New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) and is completely FREE.
Health Inspectors/Educators visit selected neighborhoods "door to door" providing information, products and a home safety survey. In addition, safety inspections of all homes in the neighborhood are conducted to improve the quality of life in each neighborhood.
Home visits include information and a home assessment for:
- Indoor Air Quality
- Asthma control
- Carbon monoxide poisoning
- Fire and burn safety
- Lead poisoning
- Unintentional injury
- Smoking cessation
- Housing and property maintenance
Following the home assessment, intervention products & services are given to each household depending on need and interest. These products include:
- Smoke detectors & batteries
- Carbon monoxide detectors (to qualifying households)
- Child safety products (cabinet locks, stove knob covers, water temperature monitors)
- Cleaning supplies (sponges, sample sizes of cleaners)
- Asthma trigger management supplies (pillow covers, sample size laundry detergent)
- Radon test kits & testing services
- Referrals to partnering agencies
Referrals are made within the ECDOH and interdepartmentally to the Department of Senior Services and WIC; as well as to other agencies such as Joan A. Male Family Support Center and the City of Buffalo Mayors Impact Team. Finally, if necessary, enforcement activities are initiated and followed through to completion.
The Healthy Neighborhoods Program is available to anyone living in the following zip codes within the City of Buffalo: 14201, 14207, 14208, 14209, 14211, 14212, 14213 and 14215. Call the ECDOH at 716-961-6800 and ask for a FREE "Healthy Neighborhoods visit".
Erie County Department of Health (ECDOH)
Healthy Neighborhoods Program
503 Kensington Avenue
Buffalo, NY 14214