Modified: August 12, 2016 3:54pm
From the Office of the Commissioner of Health, Dr. Gale R. Burstei
Date August 12, 2016
CONTACT: Mary C. St. Mary/Mary.StMary@Erie.Gov
Phone: 716.858.4941/ Mobile: 716.253.3925
Canalside Candlelight Memorial
Remembering Those Lost to Opioid Addiction
ERIE COUNTY, NY— On Saturday evening, August 20, 2016, the inaugural Candlelight Memorial to remember loved ones, neighbors, colleagues and friends who succumbed to the disease of opioid addiction will be held at 6:30pm at Canalside’s Lloyd Street Bridge (Corner of Marine Drive and Commercial Street). The Erie County Opiate Epidemic Task Force (“ECOETF”) Family and Consumer Support and Advocacy group is the sponsor of the evening’s event.
Members of the Family have been touched personally by the loss of a loved one or are currently dealing with the active opiate addiction of a loved one. Their goal is to save lives while erasing the stigma of addiction, and educate the community to treat addiction appropriately, as a recognized disease.
Brief remarks will be shared by:
- Patrick Burke, Erie County Legislator 7th District
- Dr. Joshua Lynch, Emergency Medicine, Kaleida Health
- Daniel Rinaldo, Drug Intelligence Officer, New York/New Jersey High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area (HIDTA)
- Michael Ranney, Commissioner of Mental Health, Erie County
- Cheryll Moore, Medical Care Administrator, Erie County Department of Health
- John Flickinger, U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) Resident Agent In Charge
- Tom McCarthy, Angel Volunteer, Rapid Evaluation for Appropriate Placement (REAP)
The Family and Consumer Support and Advocacy group will join with concerned members of the community in a healing ceremony to honor and remember their loved ones. The group will continue to work towards an end of the opiate epidemic, while providing support and assistance to those currently dealing with addiction in their family. The loss of their loved ones helped pave the way to collaborate and develop lifesaving programs that are now benefitting others. All arewelcome to join us to learn more about our efforts and provide support to all who are affected by this epidemic.
# # #
For More Information:
Debra Smith, Chair, ECOETF Family and Consumer Support and Advocacy group 716.858.7847