The Erie County Department of Health (ECDOH) In collaboration with the Cornell University Animal Health Diagnostic Center, the NY State Department of Health and the US Department of Agriculture’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (USDA/APHIS) Wildlife Services, is participating in a wildlife baiting rabies vaccination initiative.
Rabies vaccine baits will be distributed over rural areas by fixed-wing aircraft in suburban town/villages and in open areas if the City of Buffalo. Based on weather conditions which may cause delays to this schedule, it will take approximately 3 days to complete. The ECDOH Division of Environmental Health’s Rabies, Disease and Vector Control Program staff will distribute baits by vehicle.
- Press Release (08-08-2017) - Rabies Vaccine Airdrop Begins Mid-August: Program’s Goal is to Reduce Incidence of Rabies in Local Wildlife Population
- Press Release (08-07-2017) - USDA Begins 2017 Field Trials to Evaluate New Oral Rabies Vaccine in Raccoons, Other Wildlife
- 2017 Oral Rabies Vaccine (ORV) Program Overview
- 2017 ORV Schedule
- 2017 Map of Distribution Area in Erie & Niagara Counties
- 2017 ORV Program Poster
- Letter to Veterinarians about the ORV Program (08-02-2017)
- Letter to Medical Doctors about the ORV Program (08-02-2017)
- Free Rabies Vaccination Clinics for Cats, Dogs & Ferrets
- ECDOH Rabies Information