Protect Yourself, Your Pets & Your Family
Taking preventative action is your best defense against extreme cold.
Ready Erie App
Ready Erie App informs and prepares Erie County residents for emergencies. Receive notifications, locate emergency shelters, view up-to-date evacuation maps, create a personalized emergency preparedness plan & more.
- Your personal health and safety can be in jeopardy during extreme winter cold. When temperatures drop and as wind speed increases, heat can leave your body quickly and can lead to serious health problems. Problems such as Hypothermia, Frostbite, Heart Disease and Carbon Monoxide Poisoning can happen. If you are experiencing symptoms of any of these call 911 Immediately.
Help for Seniors
- Seniors are especially at risk for cold weather illness. Visit the Department of Senior Services’ website for information on emergency preparedness for seniors.
Help for the Homeless
- If you see someone in need, call 211 to have an outreach team dispatched
- To receive Code Blue updates for the City of Buffalo, text CodeBlueBuffalo to 898-211
- WNY Coalition for the Homeless
- Homeless Alliance of WNY
- Code Blue Relief Mission (Facebook Page)
- Buffalo City Mission - 100 E Tupper St., Buffalo, NY 14203, (716) 854-8181
- St. Luke’s Mission of Mercy - 325 Walden Ave., Buffalo, NY 14211, (716) 894-4476
Protect Your Pets
Please contact your veterinarian for any questions you have regarding your pets.
- American Veterinary Medical Association - Cold Weather Pet Safety
- SPCA of America - Cold Weather Safety Tips
- Humane Society of the US - Protect Your Pet During Winter and Cold Weather