|Section||1201.||Department of social welfare; commissioner; county welfare act repealed.|
|1202.||Powers and duties of the commissioner.|
|1203.||Welfare advisory board.|
|1204.||Division of Youth Services.|
|1205.||Youth Bureau Board.|
|1206.||Executive Director of Youth Bureau.|
Section 1201. Department of social welfare; commissioner; county welfare act repealed. There shall be a department of social welfare headed by a commissioner who shall be appointed by the county executive subject to confirmation by the county legislature. The Erie county social welfare act, being chapter twenty eight of the laws of nineteen hundred thirty-eight as amended, is hereby repealed as of January first, nineteen hundred sixty-one.
Section 1202. Powers and duties of the commissioner. Except as otherwise provided in this charter, the commissioner of social welfare shall:
- Have all the powers and perform all the duties conferred on or required of a county commissioner of public welfare under the social welfare law or other applicable law.
- REPEALED by Local Law No. 9 1989.
- Establish a system whereby foster parents shall have in their possession authorization for immediate emergency medical treatment for all foster children in their care.
- Establish an emergency telephone service, either within the Erie county department of social services or by contract arrangement with a related agency, which emergency telephone service shall be available on a twenty four hour basis for medical, psychiatric and non medical crises.
- Perform such additional and related duties as the county executive may prescribe.
Amended by Local Law No. 6 1975.
Section 1203. Welfare advisory board. There shall be in the department a welfare advisory board of seven members appointed by the county executive for five year staggered terms. At least one member of such board shall be a physician licensed to practice in the state of New York. The welfare advisory board shall at the request of the commissioner, and may on its own initiative, advise on matters relating to the operation and improvement of the department or involving social welfare.
Section 1204. Division of Youth Services. There shall be within the department of social welfare a division of youth services, headed by a deputy commissioner. In addition to all other duties prescribed by local law, ordinance or resolution of the Legislature or by the commissioner of social welfare, the deputy commissioner of the division of youth services shall have charge of youth detention services and the youth bureau.
Section 1204 added by Local Law No. 3-2006.
Section 1205. Youth Bureau Board. There shall be established a youth bureau board to the division of youth services of the department of social welfare.
Section 1205 added by Local Law No. 3-2009.
Section 1206. Executive Director of Youth Bureau. There shall be an executive director of the youth bureau within the division of youth services of the department of social welfare. The executive director shall be appointed by the county executive subject to confirmation by the county legislature.
Section 1206 added by Local Law No. 3-2009
Article 12 was formerly numbered Article XI.