The Town of Newstead has made every effort to provide comprehensive solid waste service at a reasonable cost. Currently our provider is Modern Disposal with scheduled pick up on Fridays.
Our Town collected almost 25% more recycling tonnage in 2013 than in 2012 at a savings of almost 25%. Great job residents! Keep recycling!
- Weekly street side pick up (household garbage not construction)
- Trash should be placed at the street in standard sized garbage containers or plastic bags no sooner that 6:00pm on Thursday and no later than 6:00am on Friday.
- One household bulky item pick up weekly (mattress, couch, etc)
Recycling should be placed at the street in town approved/owned recycling carts. Recycling is picked up every other Friday. Please see the map to see if you are an A or B week. The northern part of the Town is week A and the southern part is week B.
If you are in need of a recycling cart, please contact the Highway Dept. at 542-5412
Please recycle the following items:
- Newspapers, magazines, phone books, catalogs, junk mail, brown paper bags, shoe Boxes, cereal boxes, corrugated cardboard
- Milk cartons, juice cartons
- Glass jars and bottles (any color)
- Plastic containers
- Metal cans and aluminum pie tins
- Pizza Boxes
- Paper bags
- Glass (clear & colored)
Do Not Recycling these following items:
- Styrofoam containers/packing
- Propane Tanks
- Paint Cans
- Medical Waste/syringes
- Flammable liquids
- Household Cleaners
- Chemicals (dry or liquid)
- Wood Items
- Garden Hoses
- Electrical cords
- Clothing or rags
- Plastic Bags
- Yard Waste
- Animal parts from hunting
Electronics are not picked up by Modern Disposal. In order to dispose of electronics, please see attached link.
Annual tire drop off at the Highway Dept. in April (with Town issued permit)
Yard Waste, Brush, Leaves, Christmas Trees
There is no street pick up for yard waste. In the Town of Newstead, these items can be burned/composted. The property owner is responsible for maintaining control of the open fire. The Town encourages you to compost your yard wastes.
If you are planning a remodeling project which will produce a substantial amount of debris, you will need to arrange to have a waste disposal company place a dumpster on your property.
Materials such as oil based paints, insecticides and solvents MUST NOT BE PLACED IN YOUR TRASH! These must be disposed of at one of the county sponsored hazardous waste drop off sites, advertised periodically in the Buffalo News.