Erie County Department of Senior Services
95 Franklin Street - Room #1329
Buffalo, NY 14202
Phone: (716) 858-8526
Office hours: Monday-Friday 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
(July & August: 8:30 am - 4:30 pm)
The Erie County Department of Senior Services was created in 1971 and subsequently designated an Area Agency on Aging under Title III of the Older Americans Act. The primary responsibilities which the Department has under the Older Americans Act and New York State Community Services for the Elderly Programs focus on planning, advocacy and coordination activities.
These responsibilities are:
- To develop and implement a Four-Year Plan of services which is responsive to the priority needs of older persons of Erie County. Services under this plan are delivered either directly by the Department or through community organizations under contract with the Department.
- To advocate on behalf of the needs of older persons by monitoring, evaluating and commenting on policies, programs, and community actions which affect the elderly of Erie County.
- To represent the needs, interests and concerns of older persons to public officials and others.
- To coordinate our planning and service activities with other agencies and organizations to promote the most efficient use of existing resources and to promote new and expanded benefits to the elderly.
Demographics: 2010 Census -
- 21.5% of the population of Erie County is 60 years or older (197,365 individuals))
- 8.1% of the resident population is 75 years or older (74,435)
- Erie County's 60 year+ population has grown from 14.5% of the total county population in 1970 to 21.5% in 2010.