An Introduction to the Caregiver Resource Center
The Caregiver Resource Center provides a wide variety of information and programs for family caregivers:
- An assortment of free printed materials covering the gamut of challenges faced by caregivers
- Assorted handouts on helping someone who has dementia
- Tips on taking care of the Caregiver
- Tips on working with difficult behaviors
- E-mail communication to quickly facilitate obtaining local information such as lists of residential facilities, Home Care Options, Benefit Checklists, etc. E-mail: email@example.com
- A professional counselor to offer support counseling in caregiving situations
- Legal services for seniors seeking guardianship/adoption of family members under the age of 19
- Presentations on caregiving and related topics, such as dementia or reducing caregiver stress.
Expert information, via the phone and printed materials, is always available from the Department's Information and Assistance Unit. Examples include:
- Brochure entitled "Home Care Options in Erie County"
- List of Day Care providers and information about the service
- Information about Personal Emergency Response Systems
- Support Group List
- List of Nursing Homes in Erie County
- List of Adult Residences / assisted living options in Erie County
- List of Independent Senior Housing Options in Erie County (age and income guidelines may apply)
Home care and day care money provides numerous hours of respite care for seniors in Erie County.
A contract with Legal Services for the Elderly provides legal expertise for seniors who are caring for relatives under the age of 18.