People 60 and over who cannot shop for or prepare their own meals often count on nutritious meals delivered to their homes five days a week. If you or someone you know is unable to take care of meal preparation, a call to 858-8526 can initiate an in-home evaluation for home-delivered meals as well as any other benefits or services for which the older person may be eligible. A doctor's note specifying the type of diet (low-salt, diabetic, etc.) must be supplied.
Once the in-home assessment is complete, a referral for home delivered meals may be made. When service begins, volunteers will deliver two meals around mid-day on Mondays through Fridays. The menu is planned by registered dieticians to provide two-thirds of the recommended daily adult nutritional requirements. Tailored diets (low-salt, diabetic, and others) will be delivered for those with special dietary needs.
A confidential contribution of $3.50 per meal ($7.00 per day) is suggested, and goes toward nutritious meals for seniors in Erie County. The contributions help to maintain and expand the meal program. No one will be denied a meal if they cannot contribute.
- Meals on Wheels for WNY (822-2002) serving Buffalo, Lackawanna, Angola, Brant, Derby, Eden, Evans, Hamburg, Farnham, North Collins, Collins, Clarence, Akron, Newstead, Lancaster, Depew, Cheektowaga, Sloan, West Seneca, Orchard Park, Elma, East Aurora, South Wales, parts of Marilla, and parts of Amherst, Williamsville, Snyder.
- Southtowns Meals on Wheels (Boston: 941-6113; Colden: 941-5012; Concord: 592-4946; Holland: 537-9443; Sardinia: 496-8900) serving Boston, Colden, Concord, Holland, and parts of Sardinia.
Call 858-8526 to arrange for an in-home assessment at no cost to you. Experienced case managers will also offer information on a wide array of services available.
Other home delivered meal programs in Erie County not directly supported by the Department of Senior Services include:
- Meals on Wheels Alden - 937-7105
- Meals on Wheels of Amherst - 636-3065
- Meals on Wheels of Ken-Ton - 874-3595
- Meals on Wheels of North Tonawanda and City of Tonawanda - 693-1663
- East Aurora Portable Meals (Village Only) - 652-4858
- Grand Island Meals on Wheels - 773-9682
Food Pantries and Soup Kitchens are located throughout Erie County to serve emergency needs and provide assistance - please call the Department’s Intake and Assistance Unit at 858-8526 -- They will direct you to a nearby Food Pantry, a Dining Room/Soup Kitchen, or assist you with programs conducted by the Salvation Army, Catholic Charities, or Federal Nutrition Programs such as WIC or Food Stamps. If you or someone you know needs assistance, please call 858-8526.
Grocery Delivery Services are available. Click here for listing (pdf).