People 60 and over who cannot shop for, or prepare their own meals, often count on nutritious meals delivered to their homes five days a week. If you or someone you know, is unable to take care of meal preparation, a call to (716) 858-8526 can initiate an in-home evaluation for home-delivered meals as well as any other benefits or services for which the older person may be eligible. A doctor's note specifying the type of diet (low-salt, diabetic, etc.) must be supplied.
Once the in-home assessment is complete, a referral for home-delivered meals may be made. When service begins, volunteers will deliver two meals around mid-day Monday through Friday. The menu is planned by registered dieticians to provide two-thirds of the recommended daily adult nutritional requirements. Tailored diets (low-salt, diabetic, and others) will be delivered for those with special dietary needs.
A confidential contribution of $3.50 per meal ($7.00 per day) is suggested and goes toward nutritious meals for seniors in Erie County. The contributions help to maintain and expand the meal program. However, no one will be denied a meal if they cannot contribute.
- Meals on Wheels for WNY, Inc. - (716) 822-2002 serves Buffalo, Lackawanna, Angola, Brant, Derby, Eden, Evans, Hamburg, Farnham, North Collins, Collins, Clarence, Akron, Newstead, Lancaster, Depew, Cheektowaga, Sloan, West Seneca, Orchard Park, Elma, East Aurora, South Wales, parts of Marilla, and parts of Amherst, Williamsville, Snyder, Boston, Colden, Concord, Holland, and parts of Sardinia.
- Amherst Meals on Wheels - (716) 636-3065
- Ken-Ton Meals on Wheels - (716) 874-3595
Call (716) 858-8526 to arrange for an in-home assessment at no cost to you. Experienced Case Managers will also offer information on a wide array of services available.
Other home-delivered meal programs in Erie County that are not directly supported by the Department of Senior Services include:
- Alden Meals on Wheels - (716) 937-7105
- North Tonawanda Meals on Wheels (also services City of Tonawanda) - (716) 693-1663
- East Aurora Portable Meals (Village Only) - (716) 652-4858
- Grand Island Meals on Wheels - (716) 773-9682
Food Pantries and Soup Kitchens are located throughout Erie County to serve emergency needs and provide assistance. Please call the Department’s Intake and Assistance Unit at (716) 858-8526. They will direct you to a nearby Food Pantry, a Dining Room/Soup Kitchen, or assist you with programs conducted by the Salvation Army, Catholic Charities, or Federal Nutrition Programs such as WIC or SNAP. If you or someone you know needs assistance, please call (716) 858-8526.
Grocery Delivery Services are available. Click here for listing (pdf).