Support Groups, People & Organizations
Support Groups for Grandparents Raising Grandchildren in Erie County
“I’m overwhelmed! Where do I begin?”
One excellent approach is to find groups of caregivers who have learned skills to help them cope, to find necessary information and resources, and act as advocates for the children in their care. Several groups are meeting in or near Erie County.
Child & Family Support Program,
Saturday Support and Wednesday Evening Support
The Mental Health Association of Erie County
999 Delaware Ave., Buffalo, NY 14209-1892
Attn: Jessi Tutt, Coordinator, Child & Family Support
For parents, grandparents, and foster parents of children who have emotional and/or behavioral problems; child care provided during meetings (call ahead)
EPIC Parenting Workshops
EPIC - Every Person Influences Children SUCAB
1000 Main Street, Buffalo, NY 14202
Workshops on parenting as well as training for those volunteering to run workshops, 2 hours a week for 6 weeks.
Web site: www.epicforchildren.org
Amherst Center for Senior Services
370 John James Audubon Pkwy, Amherst, NY 14228
Attn: Ann Marie Howard, Deborah Zimmerman, & Lynette Walker (716) 636-3050
Relatives As Caregivers Support
Mid-Erie Counseling and Treatment Services
Diana Kachurka (716) 895-7167 Ext. 106
Relatives as Parents/Providers Information
Mental Health Association
36 Pine St., Lockport, NY 14094
Attn: Cheryl Licata, Director of Education
Paula Smith, Facilitator (716) 433-3780
Meetings are held the first & third Fridays of the month from 10 A.M. to 12 P.M. Lockport, NY. The group welcomes anyone raising children other than their own. Information is confidential. Advocacy work.
Support Group for Grandparents Raising Grandchildren
Attn: Alice Hutchins (716) 662-0482. Leave a voice mail message.
Monthly meetings are held in Orchard Park, NY.
List of Support Groups, People & Organizations
- Buffalo & Erie County Public Library
- Cantalician Center for Learning
- Child & Family Support Program of the Mental Health Association of Erie County, Inc.
- Connections: A Guide to Transitional Services in Erie County, March 1999
- Erie County Department of Senior Services
- Erie County Department of Social Services, Children’s Services, Kinship Caregiver Manual
- Erie County Department of Social Services Kinship Unit
- EPIC—Every Person Influences Children, Inc.
- Kinship Consortium
- Mid-Erie Counseling and Treatment Services
- New York State Office for the Aging, Targeted Caregivers Initiative
- People, Inc.
- Parenting Without Instructions
- Mental Health Association in Niagara County, Inc.
- Support Groups for Grandparents Raising Grandchildren
Updated, July 2005