SHERIFF WARNS ELMA/MARILLA RESIDENTS OF RECENT RASH OF LARCENIES IN THEIR NEIGHBORHOODS
April 26, 2012- Erie County Sheriff Tim Howard is warning residents living in the Elma and Marilla areas of a recent rash of car larcenies. The crimes have occurred during the evening to early morning hours with vehicles either parked in the owners’ driveways or out on the street in front of the owners’ homes. Items targeted have been cash; loose change; gift cards; and electronic items such as GPS units and iPods.
“Most motor vehicle larcenies are preventable by simply locking your car doors and removing your valuables from sight”, said Erie County Sheriff Tim Howard.
To help prevent these sorts of crimes, the Sheriff’s Office is recommending the following:
• Avoid leaving valuables, including loose change and cash, in plain view.
• Park in well-lighted areas. Always roll up the windows and lock the car.
• Never leave GPS units/mounts visible when the vehicle is unattended.
• Remove after-market stereo equipment from the dash.
• Immediately call 911 if confronted and provide a detailed description of the suspect.
• Remember to take quick actions in notifying the Sheriff’s Office to help increase the chances of apprehending the suspect and preventing future incidents.
Anyone with any information regarding these larcenies is encouraged to contact the Erie County Sheriff’s Office @ 667-5282