The Erie County Sheriff’s Office Traffic Bureau and Crash Investigation Unit (C.I.U.) is located at the Sheriff’s Patrol Headquarters at 45 Elm Street, Buffalo New York, 14203
General questions – (716) 858-3270
Accident report requests – Click Here for instructions
The Traffic Bureau/C.I.U. is currently staffed with a Sergeant (Traffic Commander) and 3 Deputies.
Deputies assigned to the Traffic Bureau have advanced training and experience in crash investigations and are utilized to investigate serious physical injury and fatal motor vehicle crashes. The bureau is routinely requested by local police agencies to assist with crash investigations.
Some other of the many functions of the Traffic Bureau/C.I.U. is;
- Processing and mailing requested accident reports handled by the Erie County Sheriff’s Office.
- Monitor all daily motor vehicle accident activity in the Sheriff’s patrol districts, including deer strikes.
- Research, compile, log, and file Erie County Sheriff’s Office accident reports, traffic arrest records, and statistics.
- Participate, oversee, and monitor all traffic enforcement details, which include; DWI checkpoints, Seat belt checkpoints, and roving patrols for speed, seat belt, and DWI enforcement.
- Organize and participate in child car seat inspection events, utilizing our specially trained technician officers to ensure proper installation and safety of child passengers.
|Traffic/Crash Investigation Unit||2014|
|Car v. Deer - property damage only||461|
|Car v. Deer with injuries||
|Number of times dispatched to accidents||2688|
|Drug recognition evaluation requests||61|
|Hit & Run accidents (property and persons)||241|
|Completed accident reports||1149|
|Total traffic summonses||9406|