ERIE.GOV | Your information resource from the government of Erie County, New York

County Executive Elected Officials County Departments Living In Erie County Visiting Erie County Growing your business in Erie County State and regional municipalities

Are You a Grandparent or Non-Parent Caregiver of a Child?





Non-parent caregivers who are caring for children without a parent living in their home may be eligible for Temporary Assistance.


Temporary Assistance (cash assistance) for children not living with a parent is often referred to as “non-parent caregiver” or “child-only” grants, and includes Medical Assistance (MA).   If the non-parent caregiver wants assistance only for the children, the non-parent caregiver’s income is not used to determine eligibility and there are no Temporary Assistance work requirements for the non-parent caregiver.


Non-parent caregivers may apply for Temporary Assistance in person at this location:

Erie County Department of Social Services, 478 Main Street, 6th Floor, Buffalo, NY 14202

Non-parent caregivers (also called kinship caregivers) often have a need for information and assistance related to Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP - formerly Food Stamps), the Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP), custody, guardianship, foster care, adoption, schooling, school enrollment, and other forms of assistance such as child care, social security, respite, case management and service programs. For information about services and assistance programs please visit the following websites:


v             www.nysnavigator.org   The NYS Kinship Navigator’s website offers legal fact sheets, state and   local kinship resources, and other information. In addition, the Navigator operates a toll free          phone line at 1-877-454-6463. Kinship Specialists are         available    from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm           Monday through Friday. A message may be left during   non-business hours and calls will be          returned when business hours resume.


v             http://otda.ny.gov/programs/ - The NYS Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance (OTDA)


v             www.mybenefits.ny.gov- MyBenefits is an online tool to help you learn about eligibility for      financial assistance and other benefit programs. A simple, 10-minute prescreening from any   computer with Internet access at any time, determines whether you are likely to qualify         for     Food Stamps, HEAP, the Earned Income Tax   Credit, child dependent care credits, school        lunch          and other programs.


v             http://www.ocfs.state.ny.us/kinship/default.asp - The NYS Office of Children and Family    Services (OCFS) provides contact information and links to the Kinship Caregiver Programs          funded through OCFS, as well as a variety of resources for families and staff, including the     Kinship Guardianship Assistance Program (KinGAP), a          subsidy program available to kinship      caregivers who are foster parents.


For more information on kinship care, contact the following local offices:

v             Erie County Department of Social Services (ECDSS)- 858-8000

v             Erie County Department of Senior Services – 858-8526

v            Erie County Department of Senior Services Caregiver Resource Center at      caregiver@erie.gov


{{{{{{{{{ We’re here to help.   {{{{{{{{{