2013-14 HEAP Emergency Benefits for Erie County residents are available beginning Thursday, January 2, 2014 and will close on Monday, March 17, 2014. Applications for emergency benefits must be accepted and payment guarantees for emergency benefits may be issued beginning January 2, 2014.
One emergency benefit per emergency type is available. Regular component benefits, if available, must be utilized first to resolve heating emergencies for eligible households. Emergency benefits are available to assist eligible households in resolving heating, heat-related electric and energy related temporary housing emergencies. In addition, an eligible household may receive an emergency HEAP benefit for a propane tank deposit to obtain a new propane vendor.
In addition to income and age eligibility requirements, an applicant must also be in an emergency situation as defined below:
- Having less than ¼ tank of oil, kerosene or propane.
- Having less than a ten-day supply of any other deliverable fuel source.
- In need of a propane tank deposit to obtain a new propane tank and setup due to the supplier’s termination of the applicant’s account.
- In need of temporary relocation due to an energy related emergency.
- The applicant’s natural gas or electric service for heat or heat-related electric service is terminated or scheduled for termination.
Applicants, including TA and SNAP recipients approved for 2013-14 regular benefit who meet the customer of record requirements, are permitted to apply for emergency benefits by phone at 858-7644.
More for information, visit the Erie County HEAP website at: http://www2.erie.gov/socialservices/index.php?q=heap-home-energy-assistance-program