The Department of Social Services offers temporary help for needy men, women and children. If you are unable to work, can't find a job or your job does not pay enough to meet your basic living expenses you may be able to get help. Erie County has a Work First policy that focuses on the temporary nature of cash assistance and an individual's responsibility to achieve self-sufficiency.
Emergency Temporary Assistance offers help for an urgent need or situation that has to be taken care of right away. Some examples of an emergency are:
- You are homeless.
- You have received an eviction notice.
- You do not have fuel for heating during the cold weather period.
- Your utilities are shut off or are about to be shut off.
- You or someone in your family has been beaten, abused or threatened with harm by a husband, wife, partner, ex-partner or other member of the household.
- Applications for Emergency Services should be filed on the first floor of 478 Main Street, Buffalo. To contact the Emergency Services Unit by phone, call (716) 858-6265.