ERIE.GOV | Your information resource from the government of Erie County, New York

County Executive Elected Officials County Departments Living In Erie County Visiting Erie County Growing your business in Erie County State and regional municipalities


  • VA Office of Inspector General Hotline

    Help VA'S Secretary to ensure the integrity of departmental operations by reporting suspected fraud, waste or abuse in VA programs or operations.

    Call the VAOIG Hotline toll-free at 1-800-488-8244
    [8:30am-4:00pm Eastern Time Monday-Friday excluding Federal holidays]
    You may also contact them by mail, e-mail and FAX:
    Write the VAOIG Hotline:
    P.O. BOX 50410
    WASHINGTON, DC 20091-0410
    E-mail the VAOIG Hotline:
    FAX the VAOIG Hotline: (202) 565-7936

  • The White House Agenda on Veterans Affairs
    The administration aims to transform the Department of Veterans Affairs into a 21st century organization.
  • The U.S. Senate Committee on Veterans Affairs
    US Senate's legislative and oversight committee on veterans affairs.
  • The House Committee on Veterans Affairs
    From the US House of Representatives Committee on Veterans' Affairs. Provides information and links concerning current topics and policies
  • New York State Division of Veterans' Affairs
  • Property Taxes
  • U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
  • GI Bill Website:
    GI Bill Benefits are $1,321 per month for full-time students. The GI Bill benefits expire 15 years after your discharge date, so take advantage soon!
  • New York State Tuition Award for OEF and OIF campaign veterans:
    New York State veterans who served during Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF) or Operation Iraqi Freedom are eligible for a New York State Tuition Award valued at $2,175 per semester for full-time students (Usually 12 or more credits) effective Fall Semester of 2008. The current rate is $1,000 per semester.
  • The Center for Veterans Enterprise Web Portal:
    A center of resource for enterprising veterans -or- "vetrepreneurs". Find out about the Patriot Loan and how the VA can help you start your own business.
  • VA Home Loan Form 26-1880:
    Obtain a Certificate of Eligibility when applying for a VA Home Loan by filling out VA Form 26-1880. A VA home loan offers you many advantages that you don't receive with a conventional home loan and mortgage.
  • Request a Copy of Veteran's Military Records Electronically:
    A veteran, next of kin, or surviving spouse may request a copy of the military records, commonly referred to as DD form 214, by completing the online application and faxing (preferred) or mailing a signed request to the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis Missouri. The online-to-fax method usually takes two to three weeks to receive your copy. The traditional mailing method takes several months to a year.


    • Step 1: This will bring you to the National Archives Website; scroll down to the bottom of the webpage and click on the red button/bar that says "Request Military Records"
    • Step 2: A window will pop up, which will be the application to request your military records
    • Step 3: Go through each of the 4 steps; when you get to last part of step 4, verify the information you have submitted and push continue.
    • Step 4: Press Print; two pages will print out. One page will have a place to sign, directions along with a fax number to send this paper to. The second paper will just have a place to sign your name. Sign the second piece of paper without the directions and fax it to St. Louis at (314) 801-9049.

    * Attention Navy Veterans:

    Navy personnel discharged after the year 1995 should request their military records from the Navy Personnel Command. Following is the proper procedure for requesting your separation papers (DD Form 214) or military records from the Navy Personnel Command:

    Please note that it takes approximately 10-14 days to receive a copy of the Report of Separation (DD Form 214) and approximately one month to receive the entire military records folder from the Navy Personnel Command when faxing the request. If using snail mail, it can take several months.

    *Attention Marine Corps Veterans:

    Within the past few years, the U.S. Marine Corps began retiring most military personnel records to its Personnel Management Support Branch instead of the National Personnel Records Center. For those who have been discharged/retired after 1997, fax or mail your request using a standard letter format or the Records Request Form and send to the address below with your full name, social security number, home mailing address, type of information requested and your signature:

    Manpower Management
    Support Branch (MMSB-10)
    2008 Elliot Road
    Quantico,Virginia 22134

    Phone: (800) 268-3710
    Fax: (703)-784-5792

    Marines who are requesting a copy of medical and dental records, and were discharged/retired in 1994 or later should call (314) 538-4500 to verify that the records are indeed stored with the Personnel Management Support Branch. You may then mail or fax your request to:

    Department of Veterans Affairs
    Records Management Center
    P.O. Box 5020
    St. Louis , MO 63115

    Phone: (314) 538-4500
    Fax: (314) 538-4571

  • Obtain or File a Certified Copy of a Veteran's Military Records at The Erie County Clerk's Office:
    You can obtain a certified copy of the veteran's military records, or DD form 214, at the Erie County Clerk's Office located at 92 Franklin Street in downtown Buffalo. Approximately one in four Erie County veterans have filed a copy of their discharge papers with the Erie County Clerk's Office. This copy is as good as the original and can usually be obtained the same day of your request if you go there personally. Call 716-858-8865 to verify that there is a copy available.
  • Buffalo VA Medical Center:
    The Buffalo VA Medical Center is located at 3495 Bailey Avenue, Buffalo, NY 14215. Their phone number is 716-834-9200 -or- toll free: 1-800-532-8387
  • Buffalo DAV Transportation Network:
    The DAV Transportation Network provides transportation for veterans in need of health care. Contact Richard Kloc at 716-862-6544.
  • Buffalo VA Regional Office:
    The Buffalo VA Regional Office is located at 130 South Elmwood in downtown Buffalo. Call 1800-827-1000 to reach them or to find out the status of your claim filed with the VA.
  • Compeer VET2VET Program

    The Compeer VET2VET Program matches veterans in supportive one-to-one friendships. While veterans in need receive support, understanding, and encouragement in the community, trained veteran volunteers get the opportunity to engage in community service and experience self worth by offering supportive friendship. 

    The VET2VET Program helps to ensure that veterans have access to the knowledge and expertise in the community of individuals in ways that contribute to the veteran and the community at large. 

    If you are a veteran who wants to get involved, or know someone who needs support, please contact  Program Coordinator Trueman Muhrer-Irwin at (716) 883-3331 or email

  • NIMAC – Niagara Falls Military Affairs Council
  • Buffalo VA Medical Staff
  • Volunteer
  • World War II - The Netherlands
  • National Purple Heart Hall of Honor
  • VA's Website for Returning Service Members (OEF/OIF)
    This site provides information on benefits and services available to returning service members of Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom (OEF/OIF).
  • Veteran Employment Group of Buffalo Niagara
    Goodwill Industries of Western New York
    1119 William Street, Buffalo NY 14206-1897
    Contact: Julius Gallagher (716)854-3494 or
  • Medical Careers

SUMMARY OF BENEFITS - Federal, State and County


Education Benefits

Burial Benefits

The Erie County Office of Veterans Services may also provide assistance to veterans and their families with the following local benefits and services