The Western New York Stress Reduction Program, the MMRS Emergency Mental Health Subcommittee, the Specialized Medical Assistance Response Team, and the Erie County Department of Mental Health are pleased to announce the following 2-day course:
Group Crisis Intervention
Dates: Friday April 4th, 2014 & Saturday April 5th, 2014
Time: 8:30am - 4:30pm both days
Location: Erie County Fire Training Academy, 3359 Broadway, Cheektowaga, New York 14227
This is an International Critical Incident Stress Foundation (ICISF) developed curriculum. Advantages of attending are:
- Participants will learn how to provide group crisis intervention using proven methods
- Participants will receive a certificate of completion from the ICISF
- Participants will receive continuing education credits from the University of Maryland at Baltimore
- This course is required for persons pursuing the ICISF Certificate of Advanced Training
- To increase awareness of key terms and concepts relevant to the practice of crisis intervention and disaster mental health intervention.
- To become familiar with relevant research findings and recommendations for practice.
- To understand the nature and importance of incident assessment and strategic intervention planning.
- To understand the nature of the “resistance, resilience, recovery” continuum and the role of the integrated, multi-component, Critical Incident Stress Management system (CISM).
- To become familiar with large group crisis interventions:
- Crisis Management Briefings
- To become familiar with small group crisis interventions:
- Critical Incident Stress Debriefing (CISD)
- Small Group Crisis Management Briefing (sCMB)
- To become familiar with risks of adverse outcome associated with crisis intervention and how to reduce those risks.
Presenter: Bonita S. Frazer, MS, CTS, FAAETS is the Mental Health Emergency Planning Coordinator for Erie County. Through her volunteer work with the American Red Cross and the Western New York Stress Reduction Program, she has provided crisis intervention and critical incident stress management services to survivors of critical incidents/disasters and to emergency services personnel who respond to these events. Bonita is a volunteer for the Specialized Medical Assistance Response Team and the Canine Therapy Teams of Western New York. She also serves on the Board of Directors for the Association of Traumatic Stress Specialists.
Please do not register if you cannot commit to attending both days in their entirety. Registration is limited to 30 persons. Only persons who are registered by 8:30am and stay until 4:30pm both days will receive credit for the course and a certificate of completion.
Lunch will be provided both days.
Questions about registration can be directed to Cheryl Kennedy at 716-864-8101 or via email at email@example.com
Questions about the curriculum can be directed to Bonita Frazer at 716-218-2398 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
REGISTRATION FORM (PDF Version)
Group Crisis Intervention
Friday April 4th, 2014 & Saturday April 5th, 2014
Persons who are interested in attending the training must complete the registration form and send the appropriate payment. Please complete a new registration form for each registrant. Registrations will be handled on a first come, first serve basis. All registrants will be notified whether or not they have been accepted into the class. REGISTRATION CLOSES ON FRIDAY MARCH 28TH, 2014 AT 4:30PM.
Two-Day Course Fee Schedule: $75
PAYMENT MUST BE RECEIVED BY THE MARCH 28TH, 2014 DEADLINE and can be made by personal check, business check, money order or purchase order payable to Western New York Stress Reduction Program Inc.
NOTE: This training session is a prerequisite for anyone wishing to take the Advanced Group Crisis Intervention course scheduled May 16TH & 17TH, 2014
Please LEGIBLY PRINT your name exactly as you would like it to appear on your certificate of completion, and complete all sections listed below.
Full Name: ____________________________________________
City, State, Zip: ____________________________________________
Daytime Phone: ____________________________________________
Police Helpline Peer: YES NO
ICISF Member: YES NO
____ Clergy / Chaplaincy
____ EMT / Paramedic
____ Mental Health
____ Employee Assistance Program
____ Elementary / Middle / High School
____ Medical / Hospital
____ College / University
____ Other - Please Specify
____ Public Health
Please submit the completed form to Cheryl Kennedy via mail or email:
Address: 7118 Michael Road, Orchard Park, New York 14127
PLEASE NOTE: If you submit your registration via mail, please email Cheryl Kennedy at email@example.com to inform her that your registration(s) will be forthcoming.
Should you need to cancel, please notify Cheryl Kennedy as soon as possible so that we may fill your slot with another registrant.