COVID-19 RESPONSE: Erie County Auto Bureau Q & A

How to change your address on license and/or registration?

What do you need to  schedule a road test?

How to change your address on license and/or registration?

New York State law requires that you to report a change of residence address on a driver license, permit, non-driver ID, or registration to the DMV within 10 days.  

You should know that an address change with the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) does not update your address on DMV records.    Complete Form MV-232 to change your address and bring into the closest Auto Bureau. 

What do you need to schedule a road test?

You must:

  1. have a valid NYS learner permit;
  2. have a Pre-Licensing Course Certificate (MV-278) or a Driver Education Certificate  (MV-285) that has not expired;
  3. have minimum of 50 hours of supervised practice driving; and
  4. schedule your test online

For your convenience, Skip the Line- Make a Reservation Online.

What are New York State Insurance requirements?

To register a vehicle in New York State you must have New York State issued automobile liability insurance coverage.  If you do not maintain the coverage, the DMV can suspend your vehicle registration and your driver license. 

Proof of financial security is required to be maintained continuously throughout the registration period of your vehicle. If you do not keep your New York State insurance in force during the entire registration period, your registration will be subject to suspension. If your vehicle is still uninsured after 90 days, your driver license will too be suspended. 

To avoid these penalties you must surrender your license plates before you cancel your insurance or your policy expires. By law your insurance carrier is required to report specific termination information to the Commissioner of the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles. 

If you have a lapse in insurance coverage of 90 days or less, the law permits you to avoid suspension of registration by the payment of a civil penalty for each day or any portion thereof up to 90 days for which your insurance was not in effect. This civil penalty option ONLY applies once during a 36-month period. 

The civil penalties are: 

-         1 to 30 day lapse: $8 per each day of lapse

-         31 to 60 day lapse: $240 plus $10 per days 31-60

-          61-90 day lapse: $540 plus $12 per day for days 61-90.

Learn more here by clciking here.

How to apply for Veteran Status Designation? 

If you are a qualified U.S. military veteran who was honorably discharged, and you have a NY State driver license, learner permit or non-driver photo ID card, you can have the word "Veteran" printed on the upper left hand of your photo document.

There is NO additional fee for the veteran status designation on your document.

After you receive the veteran designation, it will automatically be on all of your future DMV documents (when you replace or renew).

To apply, you must provide proof of an honorable discharge

Acceptable proofs are:

  • a U.S. Department of Defense Form DD-214 that indicates an honorable discharge
  • a form DD-215 that indicates an honorable discharge
  • if discharged before January 1,1950, an Honorable Discharge form WD AGO 53, WD AGO 55, WD AGO 53-55, NAVPERS 553, NAVMC 78PD or NAVCG 553, or an "Enlisted Separation Paper"
  • a Certification of Military Service (NA FORM 13038) that indicates a discharge that is either "honorable"  or "under honorable conditions"