- Investigates, mediates and resolves consumer complaints through contacts with vendors and consumers, via phone, letter, email or personal visits.
- Receives, classifies and processes consumer complaints.
- Conducts independent investigations of suspected violations in the sale of commodities and rendering of services.
- Check businesses for availability of items as advertised in the various media.
- Provides information and referral services to the public on consumer problems.
- Shares information with other enforcement agencies: District Attorney, County Attorney, State Attorney General, Federal Trade Commission, FBI, Justice Department and other local, state and federal jurisdictions.
- Liaison with the business community.
- Provides information to courts and testifies at county and state hearings, when necessary.
For additional information about Erie County's Office of Consumer Protection you can view and print out, our department’s brochure here.