Buffalo Man Sentenced for Burglarizing Delaware Avenue Apartment with Female Tenant Inside

Modified: October 4, 2022 3:26pm


Erie County District Attorney John J. Flynn announces that 61-year-old Edward W. Jackson, Jr. of Buffalo was sentenced this morning before Erie County Court Judge Kenneth Case to an indeterminate sentence of 3 to 6 years in prison. He was sentenced today as a second felony offender.

On February 15, 2021, at approximately 2:30 p.m., the victim was inside of her apartment, located on Delaware Avenue near Cleveland Avenue in the City of Buffalo, when she heard a noise in another room. The victim saw the defendant, who was not known to her, unlawfully inside her apartment. After being confronted by the victim, the defendant claimed he was inside of her apartment to fix a door, but then exited through the doorway into the hallway of the apartment building. After he fled the apartment, the victim noticed that a dresser drawer in her spare bedroom was open.  

The victim immediately notified the property manager about the incident. She then spoke with a neighbor and appliance movers in the apartment hallway who said that they witnessed the defendant leave her apartment. The defendant was found inside of the building a short time later by the property manager and the appliance movers who then chased after him as he attempted to flee. The property manager and movers were able to detain the defendant until police arrived.

The defendant was initially arraigned before Buffalo City Court Judge Diane Wray on February 16, 2021. Judge Wray set bail at $50,000 cash, bond or partially secured bond.

On September 1, 2022, Jackson pleaded guilty to one count of Burglary in the Third Degree (Class “D” felony). The defendant pleaded guilty to the charge ahead of his jury trial that was scheduled to begin the following week.

Today, Judge Case issued a final order of protection, which remains in effect until 2030. The defendant is ordered to stay away from the victim and the apartment building.

DA Flynn commends the Buffalo Police Department for their work in the investigation.

The case was prosecuted by Chief Justin T. Wallens of the Felony Trials Bureau and Assistant District Attorney Meredith M. Mohun of the Special Victims/Domestic Violence Bureau.