Drunk Driver Heading to Jail for Leaving the Scene of Crash That Injured Child Passenger

Modified: August 14, 2019 12:54pm

Latest News


Erie County District Attorney John J. Flynn announces that 40-year-old Matthew Jendresky of Akron has been sentenced by State Supreme Court Justice Russell P. Buscaglia to one year in jail.

On October 9, 2018, at approximately 7:55 p.m., a woman was driving on Clarence Center Road in the Town of Newstead with her two children, ages 8 and 6, in the backseat when the defendant hit her vehicle with his pickup truck at the intersection of Cummings Road.

The defendant, while driving under the influence of alcohol, crossed the center lane into oncoming traffic, causing a head-on collision with the victim’s Prius. After the crash, the defendant put his vehicle into reverse, which forced the two vehicles apart. As he attempted to drive around the Prius, he hit the Prius a second time, causing damage to the rear end of the vehicle.

The defendant drove a short distance away from the scene, and parked his vehicle in the driveway of a residence on Cummings Road. When he heard the sirens and saw the emergency responders coming to the crash site, he ran into a wooded area where he was located approximately 90 minutes later.

The 8-year-old child, who was seated in a booster seat with her seatbelt on, suffered a large cut on her forehead as a result of the crash. She was taken to Oishei Children’s Hospital where she underwent surgery for the wound, which required multiple sutures to close it. The driver and other child passenger did not suffer any serious injuries.

In May 2019, Jendresky pleaded guilty to one count of Leaving the Scene of an Incident Without Reporting, a Class “E” felony, and one count of Driving While Intoxicated, a misdemeanor. He pleaded guilty to the highest charge in the indictment against him.

DA Flynn commends Officer Scott Johnson of the Akron Police Department as well as New York State Troopers Daniel Schneeberger and Robert Murtha for their work in locating the defendant immediately following the crash.

The case was prosecuted by Chief Paul J. Glascott of the DA’s Vehicular Crimes Bureau.