My basement has flooded with sewer water. What should I do?

You should contact the appropriate sewer district that covers the municipality where you live. For a list of sewer district, go to You may also want to contact the Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) at (716) 851-7200 for additional guidance. Click here for information about sewer water clean-up.

The Erie County Department of Health (ECDOH) becomes involved only when there is an imminent public health threat. In the absence of a public health threat, the ECDOH has no authority or oversight over operational sewer systems.

Frequently Requested



Phone: (716) 858-7690

Fax: (716) 858-8701

Erie County Department of Health (ECDOH)
95 Franklin Street
Buffalo, New York 14202

ECDOH Locations