E-cigarettes & Similar Vapor Products
- Click here for information on E-cigarettes & Similar Vapor Products
Adolescent Tobacco Use Prevention Act (ATUPA)
The Adolescent Tobacco Use Prevention Act or ATUPA is found in Article 13-F of the NYS Public Health Law which covers regulation of tobacco products and herbal cigarettes and their distribution to minors. Erie County’s ATUPA Program is part of a comprehensive state wide enforcement program designed to reduce the prevalence of tobacco use, and to attempt to prevent tobacco access to youth less than 18 years of age.
The program coordinator maintains an up to date listing of registered and unregistered tobacco retail dealers and vendors (including cigarette vending machines) within the County. All facilities are visited yearly, by program personnel, to verify that they are properly registered with the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance to sell tobacco products; that proper signage regarding the sale of tobacco products to minors is conspicuously posted; and that tobacco products are properly and safely stored to prevent access to unauthorized individuals.
Additionally, at least one compliance check per year with underage youth is done at each facility where tobacco products are available for sale, to verify that such products are not being sold to minors.
New York State law requires the name and address of Retail Tobacco Dealers in violation of Article 13-F be made public.
Clean Air Acts
Help To Quit Smoking or Using Tobacco
- New York State Smokers' Quitsite or call 1-866-NY-QUITS (1-866-697-8487)
- ECDOH Smoking Cessation Program
- Tobacco-Free WNY
- Harms of Cigarette Smoking and Health Benefits of Quitting (NCI)
- Health Effects of Cigarette Smoking (CDC)
- Cigarette Smoking and Other Tobacco Use (NYSDOH)
- American Lung Association
- E-cigarettes & Similar Vapor Products
- Healthy Neighborhoods Program (HNP)
- Inspections & Food Sanitation Services
Erie County Department of Health
503 Kensington Avenue
Buffalo, NY 14214
Phone: (716) 961-6800
Fax: (716) 961-6880
Map of Office Location