Modified: July 22, 2021 2:18pm
ERIE COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH PROVIDES COVID-19 DATA UPDATE FOR WEEK ENDING JULY 17, 2021
ERIE COUNTY, NY –
The Erie County Department of Health (ECDOH) is providing an update on recent COVID-19 data.
For the week ending July 17, 2021, ECDOH received reports for 174 new COVID-19 cases among Erie County residents. The COVID-19 case rate of 18.9 new cases per 100,000 residents in the past seven days for the week ending July 17 is an increase over the previous week’s case rate of 7.4.
Erie County has experienced a significant increase in cases this week compared to the previous week.
Similar increasing trends are being seen at varying levels throughout the state and the entire country.
Although there is a rise in local cases, the total cases is still well below the weekly totals that Erie County experienced throughout the pandemic. However, the trend is concerning and it will continue to be monitored on a daily basis.
Specifically, for the week ending 7/17/2021:
- 174 total cases over the past week
- 106 more cases compared to the previous week (156 percent increase)
- Overall diagnostic testing numbers remain low, but did slightly increase (from 11,082 tests week ending 7/10/2021 to 11,979 for week ending 7/17/2021)
- The 20-to-29 year old age group increased from 5 cases for the week ending 7/10/2021 to 38 cases for theweek ending 7/17/2021
- The 7-day case rate per 100,000 persons for the 20-to-29 year age group was 30.0 and for the 30-to-39 year age group the rate was 31.6; both of those are significantly higher than the overall 7-day rate of 18.9 for all of Erie County
- 40.2 percent of all cases reported this past week were aged 20-to-39 years of age
- Of 189 reported deaths from April 1, 2021 through July 15, 2021, 181 (96 percent) of the 189 deaths were in persons who were not fully immunized prior to infection
- Cases were highest in the 20-to-29 year old and 30-to-39 year old age groups
- Monitoring trends in children, the number of cases reported in persons aged 17 years or younger increased from 13 cases for the week ending 7/10/2021 to 32 cases for the week ending 7/17/2021
- There were two local deaths associated with COVID-19 were reported in the past 7 days
- Total overall COVID-19 associated deaths = 1,927
- 2020 Deaths = 1,276
- 2021 Deaths = 651
-Additional information is available in the attached document featuring charts/graphs with data compiled through the week ending July 17, 2021.
-ECDOH has an active schedule of COVID-19 vaccine clinics that are listed at www.erie.gov/vax
-ECDOH will vaccinate any eligible Erie County resident at their home. Call (716) 858-2929 for the “Vax Visit” program.
Chart: Erie County Hospitalization Data
Data Source: New York State Department of Health and Erie County hospitals
- ECDOH, COVID-19 vaccine info & clinic schedule: http://www.erie.gov/vax
- COVID-19 Information Line: (716) 858-2929 ( foreign language interpretation is available)
- ECDOH, COVID-19 Weekly Data Updates: https://www2.erie.gov/health/index.php?q=covid-19-media-data
- Erie County COVID-19 Wastewater Testing: http://erie.gov/covid19-wastewater