Do not let the bat get outside. Call the Erie County Department of Health Immediately at (716) 961-6800. If it is after regular business hours, please call (716) 961-7898.
If professional help is not available, capture the bat safely as described below. You will need leather or very thick work gloves (put them on), a small box or coffee can, a piece of cardboard, and tape.
- When the bat lands, move slowly toward it.
- While wearing the gloves, put the box or coffee can over the bat.
- Then, slide the cardboard under the container to trap the bat inside.
- Tape the cardboard to the container, and punch small holes in the cardboard, allowing the bat to breathe.
- Immediately call the Erie County Department of Health at (716) 961-6800. If it is after regular business hours, please call (716) 961-7898.