Veterans are eligible to participate in this course for FREE!
The RRP course is IDEAL for any Erie County veteran or resident currently serving in the military that is already working in or interested in working in building trades, building construction, home improvement and property management.
For example if you are a...
- Residential property manager
- General contractor
- Special trade contractor such as:
...Become Lead-Safe Certified NOW!
Erie County veterans can participate in this course AT NO COST! The RRP course is a $110 class offered to local vets for FREE!
Why must you have Lead-Safe Certification to work on a pre- 1978 home?
Contractors who perform renovation, repairs, and painting in pre 1978 housing need to have this certification and must take special precautions around paint that may contain lead. Under strict EPA rules that took effect on April 22, 2010, special certification is required for all home improvement activity in housing built before 1978 and in ANY child occupied facility. This rule, "Renovation, Repair and Painting (RRP)" is intended to ensure that any activity that disturbs paint in older housing is performed using lead-safe work practices. For more information visit the EPA "RRP" website or call 1-800-424-LEAD (5323).
What is the RRP training course?
The USEPA- Lead Safety for Renovation, Repair and Painting course is an 8 hour course that includes classroom instruction and hands-on demonstrations. In this course you will learn about the dangers of lead-based paint and the precautions you can take against lead poisoning including:
- Lead History
- Health Effects of Lead
- Safe Work Practices
- Paint Testing
- Cleaning Verification
The passing of a written examination is necessary to receive certification. Successful completion of this course will result in a certifiable skill that could lead to a competitive advantage when seeking a job or bidding on a project!
Please note that accessibility resources are available for test taking. Accommodations can be made under certain circumstances.
What should you know before coming to the course?
- Classes are held at: Erie County Department of Health, 503 Kensington Ave, Buffalo, NY 14124
- FREE parking will be available in visitor parking lots only. (See map included with program Flyer below.)
- Registration is required. Please bring your veteran or active military ID card with you.
- Please wear comfortable work clothes. There will be hands-on exercises.
- Lunch will be provided.
- The Erie County Department of Health reserves the right to cancel training up to 48 hours before class. Only pre-registered participants can be notified of any cancellations or changes in advance.
How do I register for the course?
- Please include your name, contact information (phone # and email) and the date of the class you wish to attend. (See schedule below.)
- Use “Registration” as the subject line.
- This course is FREE however, registration is required and space is limited. Schedule is subject to change.
- For more information contact Program Instructor: Joe Desiderio at (716) 961-7582.
Classes have been cancelled through at least June 15, 2020.
|Saturday||6/20/20||8:30am - 5:00pm|
|Thursday||6/25/20||8:30am - 5:00pm|
|Saturday||6/27/20||8:30am - 5:00pm|
|Tuesday||7/7/20||12:30pm - 9:00pm|
|Saturday||7/18/20||8:30am - 5:00pm|
|Thursday||7/30/20||8:30am - 5:00pm|
|Tuesday||8/4/20||12:30pm - 9:00pm|
|Thursday||8/20/20||8:30am - 5:00pm|
|Saturday||8/29/20||8:30am - 5:00pm|
|Saturday||9/12/20||8:30am - 5:00pm|
|Tuesday||9/15/20||12:30pm - 9:00pm|
|Thursday||9/24/20||8:30am - 5:00pm|
|Saturday||9/26/20||8:30am - 5:00pm|
|Tuesday||10/6/20||12:30pm - 9:00pm|
|Saturday||10/17/20||8:30am - 5:00pm|
|Thursday||10/22/20||8:30am - 5:00pm|
|Saturday||11/14/20||8:30am - 5:00pm|
|Tuesday||11/24/20||12:30pm - 9:00pm|
|Saturday||12/12/20||8:30am - 5:00pm|
|Tuesday||12/15/20||12:30pm - 9:00pm|
The Health Department reserves the right to cancel training up to 48 hours before class.*
SIGN UP TODAY!
- Does the RRP certification expire?
- Do home test kits for lead really work?
- What are Lead Safe Work Practices? Do I have to use them?
- Erie County Housing Resources Directory
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Wipe Out Lead (CFGB)
- Veterans Service Agency
Erie County Department of Health
LEADSAFE Erie County
503 Kensington Avenue
Buffalo, NY 14124