The Erie County HEAP Cooling Assistance benefit program opens Friday, May 1, 2020.
If you are eligible, you may receive one Cooling Assistance benefit per applicant household for the purchase and installation of an air conditioner or a fan to help your home stay cool. With observing social distancing, you apply for assistance in the following ways:
- Contact the HEAP hotline at 858-7644 to speak to a representative.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org and please provide a good contact phone number and information, so the department can expedite your request. Additionally, add "Cooling Request" in the subject line of the e-mail.
- Print and complete the application below with the Cooling Assistance Request form and select a participating vendor. All documentation must be mailed to 460 Main St., Buffalo, NY 14202, attention: "HEAP CAC Team."
4. Provide all information in a sealed envelope anbd and drop it off at 460 Main St. in downtown Buffalo. However, no interviews will be conducted in person at this time.
Cooling Assistance Component (CAC) provides an air conditioner or a fan to HEAP-eligible households that include an individual with a documented medical condition that is exacerbated by extreme heat.
Those applying must be, or have:
- ID for household members.
- Utility bills.
- Income eligible.
- Medical documentation.
- If received unit within last 10 years, not eligible.
- Received a HEAP benefit of $21 or less and your living arrangements have not changed, not eligible.
- Your total household gross monthly income for your household size must be at or below the following guidelines:
2019-2020 HEAP Benefit- Gross Monthly Income Guidelines
Household Size & Max. Gross Monthly Income
1 - $2,494; 2 - $3,262; 3 -$4,030; 4 - $4,797; 5 - $5,565; 6 - $6,332; 7 - $6,476; 8 - $6,620