Modified: September 22, 2020 1:09pm
The Coronavirus, also known as COVID-19, is a disease caused by a new respiratory virus first identified in China and is now spreading worldwide. This disease can lead to fever, cough and shortness of breath. There are thousands of confirmed cases in a growing number of countries internationally and the virus is now spreading in the United States. There are ongoing investigations to learn more about this virus.
If you are looking for information about the virus and the most current information about what is happening here in Erie County, the Erie County Department of Health has a great website with information for the general public, healthcare providers, businesses, community organizations. The link is www.erie.gov/health/coronavirus.
During this time, in addition to the care of our physical health we want to stress the importance of taking care of our mental health. The uncertainty of COVID-19 is causing heightened anxiety and fear for all of us. You are not alone!
NEW RESOURCE! NYS Coping Circles - Free group support by phone or video chat - NY.GOV/COPINGCIRCLES
Erie County Providers Step Up During COVID-19! Our providers have been creating new ways for our community to get the help we might need to get through this very challenging time. Check out the list of services that might be helpful to you, your family, and the people you care about!
The following links have information and resources by category - while most of these are from Erie County providers, we've also included some great New York State and National resources.
- Erie County Providers Step Up - Mental Health
- Erie County Providers Step Up - Substance Use & Addiction
- Erie County Providers Step Up - Developmental Disabilities
- Erie County Providers Step Up - Children & Families
- Erie County Providers Step Up - Grief and Loss
- Erie County Providers Step Up - Legal Services
- Erie County Providers Step Up - Resources for Essential and Frontline Workers
COVID-19 Resources for Nonprofits and Community Based Organizzations: from the NYS Health Foundation
COVID-19 Resources for Behavioral Health Providers: https://ctacny.org/covid-19-resources
Domestic Violence Services Update:
- Haven House Hotline Information Sheet and website link to 24/7 Chat Line Information: https://cfsbny.org/our-services/hh/hh-chat/
- Child & Family Servcices continues to provide support for domestic violence survivors. Click for link to Video
- Erie County District Attorney's Office continues to offer services to domestic violence survivors. Click for link to Video
- NYS Domestic and Sexual Violence Hotline 1-800-942-6906. Click for more information
Here are some other resources about the mental health aspect of this trying time.
Mental Health, Alcohol and Substance Use Treatment and Support Contact information for Erie County services
Need treatment for Addiction? Amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, New Yorkers can get started on Medication-Assisted Treatment remotely at home including buprenorphine - learn more at https://oasas.ny.gov/treatment
With in person AA and NA meetings cancelled,there are online options available:
Other online resources to support people in recovery and their families
- Friends of Recovery
- Addict to Addict Virtual Support Groups
- Family to Family Virtual Support Groups
- Listing of other Virtual Recovery Resources
There are many resources in Erie County that can be helpful during this time, for adults and children, This Community Resource Guide includes linkages to a variety of services such as addiction, crisis support, fitness, childcare, food banks, mental health, social support, crafts, and school support to name a few. Thanks to Mental Health Advocates for this resource: MHA Resource Guide During COVID-19
Other resources that may be helpful from SAMHSA:
- Tips for Social Distancing, Quarantine and Isolation
- Talking with Children: Tips for Caregivers during Infectious Disease Outbreaks
- Coping with Stress During Infectious Disease Outbreaks