(Click on a name to email)
David Miller, Code Enforcement Officer
Christine Falkowski, Senior Clerk Planning & Building
Julie Brady, Building & Zoning Clerk
5 Clarence Center Road
P.O. Box 227
Akron, NY 14001
Phone: (716) 542-4573, option 4 Fax: (716) 542-3702
Office Hours: Monday-Friday, 9:00-2:00pm
DUE TO THE COVID19 VIRUS, OFFICE HOURS HAVE CHANGED AND THE TOWN HALL IS LOCKED DOWN. THE FOLLOWING DETAILS HAVE BEEN PUT IN PLACE:
Welcome to the Town of Newstead's Building Department. The following information has been provided to guide you, but is not meant to replace the personal service we provide. We welcome any questions you may have and are available to assist you in any way we can.
Effective January 1, 2019, all rough plumbing installations will be required to have a wet test conducted and observed by the Code Enforcement Officer.
Answers To Frequently Asked Questions:
- Drainage Issues
- Electrical Inspectors
- NEW TO THE FLOODPLAIN:
- Flood Zone Information: A large portion of the northern section of Newstead is located in a designated flood zone. There are state and federal wetlands throughout the town. Specific information and flood zone maps can be obtained at Fema.gov.
- Sign Law (2014)
- Smoke Alarm and Carbon Monoxide Detector Code
- Subdivision of property, which creates a new building lot, requires Planning Board approval.
- Swimming Pools and the NYS Building Code
- Swimming Pool permit and packet
- Water Districts: (Water District Map) With the completion of water district 10, the majority of the Town of Newstead has public water available from the Erie County Water Authority. There are small sections in the town, that currently do not have access to public water. These areas are under consideration, with no definite plans. Before you purchase property, you should check with the building department regarding the availability of public water. A Lateral Restriction Policy Hardship Application will need to be submitted for Water Districts #5, #7A, #10 if you would like to tap into the water line. For more information see the Lateral Restriction Resolution.
PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR HOUSE IS CLEARLY MARKED WITH 4” NUMBERS SO THAT THE BUILDING INSPECTOR, EMT & FIRE CO. CAN EASILY FIND YOUR HOME
PERMITS are required for all new construction except as noted below:
- One story detached storage shed without a permanent foundation which are less than 144 square feet in size. Only a zoning compliance request is necessary for approval.
- Installation of swings and playground equipment for a one or two family home
- Pools designed for a water depth of 24 inches or less
- Installation of fences, except when part of a pool enclosure.
- Repairs or replacement of equipment unless it affects the structure, means of egress or fire safety equipment associated with a building or dwelling.
For Dwellings: REQUIREMENTS FOR DWELLING PERMITS
For All Other Permits: REQUIREMENTS FOR OTHER BUILDING PROJECTS
- INSURANCE REQUIREMENTS
- PLAN REVIEW CHECKLIST
- FEE SCHEDULE- See link in right menu above
- REQUIRED INSPECTIONS PER JOB TYPE
- CONSTRUCTION INSPECTIONS REQUIRED
**CALL THE CEO TO SEE IF YOU NEED A PERMIT AND CHECK THE SETBACK AND ZONING REQUIREMENTS.
If you have any questions or concerns about needing a permit, please contact the Building Department at (716) 542-4574 or by email.
Conditional certificates of occupancy can be issued upon the discretion of the Building Inspector.
- Authorized work must commence within six months following date of issuance
- Building permits expire 12 months after date of issuance
- The Town of Newstead follows the New York State Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Codes.
Required for conducting the activities or using these categories:
- manufacturing, storing or handling hazardous materials (see us for quantities)
- hazardous process and activities
- use of pyrotechnic devices in assembly occupancies
- public assembly with occupant load of 100+ persons
- use or occupancy classification posing a substantial potential hazard to public safety