The Pistol Permit New Application Process is a multi-step process that requires attention to detail. Please follow and read each step in the process carefully.
Pistol Permit Process Overview
- You must be at least 21 years of age and a resident of Erie County
- You need to fill out the County (PPA-4R) & two State PPB-3 Applications. (No Photo Copies)
- You need to take a Handgun Safety Course (A DD-214 form is acceptable)
- You need to be fingerprinted prior to submitting your pistol permit application. Fingerprinting should be done at least 48 hours prior to your appointment and no more than 30 days before.
- Book a fingerprint appointment at https://uenroll.identogo.com/workflows/151Z1G
- or Call 1-877-472-6915
- Our Service Code for getting printed is 151Z1G
- Our ORI Number is NY931040Z
Obtaining An Application Packet
- You may pick up the application packet in person in the Pistol Permit Office
- You can obtain one by mail by writing a letter requesting one and also providing a self-addressed, stamped, business-size envelope to our office
- You can download them digitally from our Forms & Resources section. (See application rules below before you print the form).
Rules For Filling Out An Application Packet
Filling out the required paperwork correctly can save a lot of time in the application process. Please read all the instructions carefully. The Application consists of 2 forms, The Erie County PPA-4r and the NYS PPB-3.
- Please read the first page of the Erie County Application. It lists all the steps necessary to complete.
- Please review the Sample PPB-3 Form before you attempt to print or fill it out.
- The two State Application (PPB-3) forms must be printed double-sided front and back or it will be rejected. (No Photo Copies)
- Please get fingerprinted at least 48 hours prior to your appointment and no more than 30 days before.
- Photos can be taken in the Pistol Permit Office when you turn in your completed application. ($10)
- Please include all dispositions if you have ever been arrested. Failure to disclose any arrests will result in immediate denial.
Below is a list of acceptable references, for each jurisdiction:
AMHERST: At least 2 references must live in Amherst, the other 2 may live anywhere in Erie County.
EAST AURORA: At least 2 references must live in East Aurora, the other 2 may live anywhere in Erie County.
TONAWANDA (TOWN): All 4 must live in the Town of Tonawanda or Village of Kenmore.
The Erie County Pistol Permit Department CANNOT make exceptions to the above requirements; those must be made by an authorized person at the specific police department. Applicants who live in any other towns, villages and cities with either their own police agency or that are served by the Erie County Sheriff’s Department, may use anyone in Erie County as a reference.
REGARDLESS OF POLICE AGENCY, NO REFERENCES CAN BE RELATIVES OF THE APPLICANT OR EMPLOYEES OF THE ERIE COUNTY SHERIFF’S DEPARTMENT.
THIS INFORMATION IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE AT ANY TIME, WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE.
What to bring when you come in to submit your Application
- Certificate of completing safe handling of firearms instruction from an NYS certified instructor. Dated no longer then fiver (5) years.
- PPB-3 (2 originals) completed and notarized with four (4) references signed by all references
- PPA-4R completed with the four (4) references listed on the PPB-3.
- An NYS Drivers License or Non-Drivers ID, proof of citizenship and/or immigration document(s).
- Your Social Security Card or W2 that lists your Social Security Number
- Documents required for a Business Protection Permit.
- Court of Dispositions for all arrests including DWI (except traffic infractions) and sealed cases.