APCO Basic Public Safety Telecommunicators Course
October 2 - 6, 2017
8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
The Erie County Law Enforcement Training Academy in cooperation with Erie County Central Police Services will present a one week Basic Public Safety Telecommunicators Course. This course is certified by the Association of Public-Safety Communication Professionals (APCO).
The PST course may be used for new-hire and existing employee training. Students successfully passing the final exam receive APCO Institute certification demonstrating completion of a training course that meets and exceeds industry accepted national basic training standards.
Training Modules Include:
- Introduction to Your New Career (roles and responsibilities of the position)
- Interpersonal Communications
- Telephone Communications Techniques: Call Processing
- Telephony - Traditional Technology
- Telephony - Emerging Technology
- Telephony - TTY
- Computer Aided Dispatch & Related Technologies
- Radio Communications Techniques
- Radio Technology
- Call Classification
- NIMS Incident Command System
- Liability Issues
- Preparing for Your New Career (stress management)
- 9-1-1 Disaster Preparedness in the PSAP
- Telecommunicator Emergency Response Taskforces (TERT)
- Quality Assurance/Quality Improvement programs
- Guidecards, the design and use in the PSAP
- NextGen and other Emerging Technologies (Module 5 - all new!)
- Record Management Systems
- Managing specialty/high-risk calls
- The need for continuing education and professional development
Course enrollment will be limited to twenty four (24) students
There is no course cost for Erie County Agencies. However, each agency must purchase course materials at $79.00 per student. Please contact Michelle Kerr of Erie County Central Police Services as soon as possible for information on purchasing course materials. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact by phone at 716-289-2481.
Please observe the Academy Dress Code:
Uniform or shirt and tie for men, proper business attire for women; blue jeans are NOT acceptable.
Erie County Law Enforcement Training Academy, Erie Community College - North Campus - 6205 Main Street, Williamsville, NY 14221
Registration can be emailed by registering HERE or you may print and fax the form to 716-270-5390.
Edward Hempling, Director of Training