Two-Time Violent Felon Commits Six More Violent Felonies and Tries His Hand at Lawyering

Modified: October 2, 2014 1:46pm


Erie County District Attorney Frank A. Sedita III announces that 35 year-old Bryan Colon of Niagara Street in the City of Buffalo pleaded guilty as charged to six counts of Burglary in the Second Degree before Erie County Court Judge Sheila A. DiTullio.  These are the highest charges for which the defendant could have been convicted had he gone to trial.  In other words, Colon did not receive a so-called “plea bargain” and was prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. 

Colon forcibly entered and burglarized six Erie County residences, stealing anything he could get his mitts on, including cash, jewelry, televisions, computers and other electronics totaling over $45,000 in estimated value.

Colon’s crime spree began on August 7, 2012, when he burglarized a Cedar Street home in the Town of Akron and a Tonawanda Creek Road home in the Town of Clarence.  On August 26, 2012 Colon burglarized an Indian Trail Road home in the Town of Amherst.  On August 31, 2012, Colon was in the process of burglarizing a Hiller Road home in the Town of Newstead when the homeowner returned and confronted him in her kitchen.  Colon pushed passed the woman and fled the scene. On September 7, 2012, Colon burglarized a North Davis Road home in the Town of Elma.  A neighbor caught the license plate of the rental car Colon was using to perpetrate this crime, which led Sheriff’s detectives to Colon as a suspect.

Police tracked down Colon on September 10, 2012 at his home in the Shoreline Apartments on Niagara Street but Colon was able to escape by jumping from a second story balcony. While on the run from police, Colon committed a sixth burglary on September 23, 2012 on West River Parkway in the Town of Grand Island.

On October 3, 2012, Erie County Sherriff’s detectives returned to the Shoreline apartments and surrounded Colon’s hideout.  Colon again attempted to escape the Shoreline Apartments by jumping from a balcony but the detectives, including Christian Parisi, Brian O’Hara, and Timothy Donovan, captured him.

To say Colon is familiar with the criminal justice system is like saying the Buffalo Bills have had difficulty qualifying for the playoffs since the departure of Jim Kelly. Colon’s criminal history began when he was 13 years-old. By the ripe old age of 14, he led police on a high speed chase and followed up with an assault, armed robbery, and larceny. At age 16, Colon was convicted as an adult for possessing a loaded firearm. 

While out on bail for possessing a loaded firearm, Colon kidnapped a man on Connecticut and 16th Street in the City of Buffalo.  Apparently, Colon’s “teenage brain was not fully developed” as he committed the kidnapping in broad daylight and in front of two high-ranking Buffalo Police officers.  When the officers attempted to thwart the kidnapping, Colon led them on a high speed chase and the officers were fired upon. 

Colon was eventually convicted of Robbery in the First Degree in connection with the foregoing.  After serving nearly ten years in state prison, Colon was granted parole but, shockingly, soon violated his parole conditions. He was then charged with Escape in the First Degree for bolting from his parole officer’s custody while shackled.  Although Colon was convicted of this offense after another trial, the Appellate Court overturned the conviction, dismissed the indictment, and released Colon, reasoning that while he was “detained,” he was not “arrested” by his parole officer.

Regarding his most recent crime spree, Colon was promptly indicted and has remained in custody since his arrest on October 3, 2012.  During that time, Colon fired three experienced, taxpayer-financed lawyers and decided to represent himself.  Colon attempted to suppress the evidence, forcing 16 additional court dates over the next 13 months. Colon lost and once again proved the wisdom of the adage, “a man who represents himself has a fool for a client.”

Colon faces up to 50 years in state prison when sentenced by Judge DiTullio on October 14, 2014.  

The case was successfully prosecuted by Assistant District Attorney and Felony Trial Bureau Chief Michael P. Felicetta, as well as Assistant District Attorney Sara N. Ogden, who is assigned to DA Sedita’s Felony Tactical Prosecution Unit.