The Planning Division administers the Erie County Community Development Block Grant and HOME Investment Partnership Consortiums. These comprise 34 and 37 communities, respectively, in Erie County that have banded together to receive federal funds. These monies are used for a variety of community planning/improvement projects, housing programs, and economic development programs.
2013 Community Development and Housing Highlights
- Seven community projects will be funded this year. This represents approximately 30% of the entitlement grant allocation for a total of $825,544.
- Infrastructure improvements within low/moderate-income areas will continue to be a focus in 2013. Typical undertakings include sidewalk replacements, water/sewer work, and street improvements.
- The Rural Transit Service (RTS) Program operates within 25 of the 34 Consortium municipalities. It is a popular and successful human service for low/moderate-income residents as well as senior citizens.
- The Housing Rehabilitation, Rental Rehabilitation, and Mobile Home Repair programs continue to be very successful with wait lists in effect for each program. Priority is given to those residing in target areas and older housing stock, as well as having lower incomes.
- Five economic development projects will be funded this year. This represents approximately 25% of the entitlement grant allocation for a total of $692,052. Projects will include demolition of blighted structures in strategic locations.
- New this year is the Smart Growth Fund Program. This program will include improvements in village and hamlet centers for aesthetic improvements to businesses and streetscapes. The program funds will combine with other funding sources for a targeted approach.
Reports & Documents: