VA offers certain benefits and services to honor our Nation's deceased veterans.
- Headstones and Markers: VA can furnish a monument to mark the grave of an eligible veteran.
- Presidential Memorial Certificate (PMC): VA can provide a PMC for eligible recipients.
- Burial Flag: VA can provide an American flag to drape an eligible veteran's casket.
- Reimbursement of Burial Expenses: Generally, VA can pay a burial allowance of $2,000 for veterans who die of service-related causes. For certain other veterans, VA can pay $300 for burial and funeral expenses and $300 for a burial plot.
- Burial in a VA National Cemetery: Most veterans and some dependents can be buried in a VA national cemetery.
Time Limits: There is no time limit to claim reimbursement of burial expenses for a service-related death. In other cases, claims must be filed within two years of the veteran's burial.
ECVSA Note: In addition to the normal benefits provided by law to survivors of deceased veterans, this is the only agency charged with and responsible for processing, at county expense, of the burial of indigent veterans and next-of-kin of veterans.
|VA Inspector General Hotline||800-488-8244|
|Education & Training||888-442-4551|
|VA Life Insurance||800-669-8477|
|Office of SGLI||800-419-1473|
|Helpline (Agent Orange & Gulf War)||800-749-8387|
|Headstones (status of claims only)||800-697-6947|
|Telecommunication Device for Deaf (TDD)||800-829-4833|
A specialized service of your ERIE COUNTY GOVERNMENT:
A fully trained office staff, experienced in every detail of claims processing, assures the claimant of efficient, confidential, and sympathetic service with the least possible consumption of time and a minimum of "red tape".
Representatives are available Monday through Friday from 8:30am to 4:30pm. Call us at (716) 858-6363 or Email us at: Veterans@erie.gov