Connecting Women With Resources
Welcome to the web site for the Erie County Commission on the Status of Women. The Erie County CSW works to assure that the women of Erie County have full participation on the issues that have an impact on their lives.
Our goal is to connect women with the resources they need to reach their full potential. On this website you will find access to support resources available to women throughout Erie County. Check the site often for updates, information and all upcoming events.
We invite you to become actively involved with ECCSW! If you want your voice to be heard and your concerns addressed, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 716-858-8307. Thank you for your support.
Sawrie Becker, Executive Director
95 Franklin St., Suite 624
Buffalo, NY 14202
Phone: (716) 858-8307
Fax: (716) 858-8311
Facts About Women in Erie County
- Women comprise 52% of Erie County's total population, 48.7 percent of its labor force, 61% of senior citizens, and 54 percent of the county’s registered voters.
- As of 2002, 27.1 % of small businesses in Erie County were women–owned.
- Median weekly earnings for women working full-time is $638.00 vs. $798.00 for men
- 29.9% of families in Buffalo live in poverty with over 63% of families having women as head of household.
- Approx. 1,000 children are born each year to mothers without a high school diploma.
- 25% of women in Erie County do not receive prenatal care and this number is increasing
- 5.4% of pregnancies are to teenage mothers in Western New York.
- In Erie County in 2008, more than 7,100 incidents of domestic violence were reported to law enforcement.
- Of the 100,000 veterans returning from service in Erie County, approx 3,000 of them are women
- Of the returning women veterans, 40% have mental health issues including depression, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and Military Sexual Trauma
Be sure to check out and visit the beautiful Tribute Garden!