Modified: June 1, 2015 8:41am
Events Provide Outreach, Education for Caregivers & Families Taking Care of Older Adults
ERIE COUNTY, NY— With Older Americans Month coming to a close, the Erie County Senior Services Department is pleased to announce an opportunity for caregivers and families that are taking care of older adults to learn more about Social Adult Day programs, which have helped older adults remain living and active in our community longer while alleviating stressors for caregivers. Six local sites with Social Adult Day programs will offer open houses on Saturday, June 13, 2015 to spotlight their programs, answer questions, and educate caregivers on opportunities available to them.
“If you, or any members of your family, haven't yet had an opportunity to see a program we encourage you to come by and learn more. These programs can often mean the difference between staying in your home, or costly nursing home placement,” said Erie County Senior Services Commissioner Randall Hoak. “In addition, all attendees will receive a voucher for a free day of care at one of these locations to use within two months.”
On Saturday, June 13, the six sites listed below will be hosting open houses to build community awareness of Social Adult Day and Erie County Senior Services programs that promote the quality of life of older adults and their caregivers by improving their physical and mental health, providing opportunities for socialization, and providing respite for weary caregivers:
- Hamburg Adult Day Program, 2982 Lakeview Road, Hamburg, 10-12 pm
- Aurora Adult Day Program, 101 King Street, Suite B, East Aurora, 10-12 pm
- Lord of Life Adult Day Program, 1025 Borden Road, Depew, 11-1 pm
- Degraff, 3780 Commerce Court, Suite 100, North Tonawanda, 11-1 pm (Amherst Adult Day Services information will be available)
- Catholic Charities’ A Gathering Place, 128 Wilson Street, Buffalo, 11-1 pm
- People Inc. Seniors Unlimited, 2635 Delaware Avenue, Suite A, Buffalo, 11-1 pm
Social adult day programs are structured, comprehensive programs offering a range of services built around the adults who participate and who may need assistance with activities of daily living. Additionally physical and cogitative activities are available in a safe and supervised environment that cultivates opportunities for social interaction.
Reservations are required by calling Erie County Senior Services/NY Connects at (716) 858-8526.