Modified: January 23, 2015 3:04pm
Free, Peer-led Programs Offer Insights on Better Disease Management, Health & Wellness
ERIE COUNTY, NY— The Erie County Department of Senior Services has announced upcoming programs for adults and caregivers dealing with Chronic Illness and Diabetes. The Chronic Disease Self-Management (“CDSMP”) and Diabetes Self-Management Programs (“DSMP”) are peer-led programs that meet once weekly and are run by certified Peer Leaders who are coping with chronic disease themselves. Both self-management programs enable people to better manage their diseases, stay well, and work more effectively with their healthcare provider.
Erie County Commissioner of Senior Services Randy Hoak said, “These Stanford University evidence based programs are proven to work and address many issues which are often not covered in detail in other programs. This makes a big difference for people who wish to stay well and out of the hospital and ER. People know what conditions they have, and are told what to do, but often fall short in how to manage their diseases in the reality of a busy life.”
Programs are FREE and open to adults with chronic disease and adult caregivers. Classes meet once a week for a six-week period. Pre-registration is required.
PROGRAM DATES & LOCATIONS:
- Chronic Disease Self-Management: beginning Monday, September 8, 2014 – Monday, October 13, 5:30 – 8PM; Commodore Perry Community Room, 279 Perry St., Buffalo NY 14204
- Chronic Disease Self-Management: beginning Wednesday, September 10, 2014 – Wednesday, October 15, 9:30 AM – noon; Autumnview Health Care, 4650 Southwestern Blvd., Hamburg NY 14075
- Diabetes Self-Management: beginning Friday, September 12, 2014 – Friday, October 17, 9:30 AM – noon; Amherst Senior Center, 370 John James Audubon Pkwy., Amherst NY 14228
- Chronic Disease Self-Management: beginning Monday, September 15, 2014 – Monday, October 20, 1:30 – 4:00 PM; Oak Senior Living, 8099 Sheridan Dr., Williamsville 14221
- Chronic Disease Self-Management (MEN’s Class); beginning Wednesday, October 8, 2014 – Wednesday, November 12, 12:30 – 3:00 PM; Cheektowaga Senior Center, 3349 Broadway Cheektowaga 14227
Additional Fall-Winter programs are being scheduled. Call (716) 858-2177 for more information or to register, or find a workshop online at: www.ceacw.org .