Can I receive assistance in another language?
The Erie County Department of Social Services assists non-English speaking clients by offering free language services, including utilization of qualified interpreters and information written in other languages. For a full overview of language and other services offered by Erie County, Click Here.
How does HEAP calculate wages?
HEAP calculates monthly wages using these formulas:
- Paid Weekly - (4 x Weekly gross)/4) x 4.3333
- Paid Bi-Weekly - (2 x bi-weekly gross)/2 x 2.1666
- Paid Bi-Monthly - (add 2 gross pay amounts- no other calculation)
For Emergency HEAP, what resources are countable?
Countable (these are counted for Emergency HEAP resource test):
- Checking and/or savings account balances.
- Time deposit certificates/
- IRA accounts, including remaining amounts from a closed-out IRA.
- Lump sums from sale of property or insurance settlements and balances from any other lump sum not specifically excluded.
- 401(k) and other retirement accounts.
- income tax refunds (except EITC) payments).
- Any other available funds not specifically excluded.
Excluded: (these are not counted for Emergency HEAP resource test):
- Amounts designated for an allowable current monthly living expense such as food, shelter, employment-related expenses, etc.
- Money earmarked for payment of the current year's prioperty and/or school taxes for the primary residence.
- One burial plot per household member.
- One written pre-arranged burial agreement with a cash value not exceeding $1,500 per household member and interest on the burial account.
- Accounts, such as PASS accounts, designated by the Social Security Administration as exempt from SSI resource limits.
- Real and personal property.
- Automobiles and other vehicles.
- Payments from reverse annuity mortgages.
- Loans (including college loans, personal loans, home equity loans).
- Credit cards or advances from credit cards.
- Individual Development Accounts (IDA).